R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKitchen sink removal. - Event Date: 08 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Kitchen sink removal.
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:26pm
My faucet stopped working. I want to remove the sink but I am unsure of the process. It is hard to see the bottom of the sink to view any anchors or hold downs. It looks like the sink just sits on a chalking. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Plantguy aka Ken
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:46pm
If you want to remove the sink to fix the faucet, the first thing to do, if you haven't already, is unscrew the screen at the end of the faucet (aka the aerator).  It's not at all uncommon for that to completely block the flow of water.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:15pm
+1.

I think the first time we used our pod, the screen in the aerator got clogged a couple of times. It appears that the faucet has stopped working. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:51pm
We removed the sink and replaced it with a larger single bowl bar sink.  The original sink was held in place with several screws that had a special washer. It was not hard to remove.
We are very happy with the replacement. We also replaced the faucet. It required cutting the pex piping a little shorter and installing new cut off valves.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:30am
As you know, it is very difficult to get to the underside of the sink because of the cabinet rails. How did you do it? Did you use a mirror or just feel around for the screws?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:49am
Are you wanting to remove the sink, as in "we don't want to have a sink anymore"?

Or, as in, "I am trying to get to the faucet plumbing"?

because if you are just trying to fix/troubleshoot the faucet, no need to remove the sink. In fact, the 99% answer was given above, check the aerator screens. If cleaning the screens doesn't fix the problem, all the plumbing connections are hand tight, no tools needed, just reach up under there and unscrew them.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 12:28pm
I used a mirror and a very long screw driver to remove the screws. It took patience but was not impossible. The screws were the square recessed head type that are used throughout the pod construction.
We recently visited the rpod factory in Dallas, Oregon. We saw the countertops had the sink and faucets pre-installed before they were put on the cabinets.
The sink that we used was the type that has the faucet mounted directly on the metal sink surround instead of being mounted on the countertop. So we installed the faucet prior to putting in the sink. Because the sink was so much larger than the original, there was no way to use the standard sink clips to attach it to the countertop. We simply used silicone caulk all around the edge as glue and put weight in the sink until the silicone dried. Then we used additional silicone all around the outside edge to seal it for water intrusion.
Good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:04pm
I checked the aerators. Removed them. No luck. My wife seems to want a ne sink, for some reason...😟. I will try to remove the faucet as that will be the easiest way to fix the problem. Thank you all for your feedback. Rpod owners forums are the best!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 8:37pm
Is the water pressure still good at the shower and toilet?  If so, it is almost certainly a clogged screen at the aerator. Is it the hot and the cold water that isn't working at the sink?  If so we're at something like 99.9999% certainty about the screens.  Replacing everything might fix the problem, but at great effort and expense.  Maybe that's okay if the wife really wants a new sink....  You say you've checked the aerator; did you try the water with the aerator off?  It has multi levels of screens that can be tough to clean.  My aerator is in the kitchen drawer -- it clogs so easily.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:23pm
I will check the aerator again. I have taken everything I can see,  off. All that is left is the end of the hose with nothing blocking the flow. No hot, no cold. I think it is the hot/cold water mixer part. I will try to remove the faucet.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>