R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding a second 12v battery - Event Date: 08 Sep 2017 - 08 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Adding a second 12v battery
    Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:45pm
Purchased a used 2015 R pod 178 with a single 12v battery.  The battery is practically brand new (2 months old). 

If I want to upgrade to two 12 volt batteries do I need to buy 2 brand new batteries at the same time or could I buy another battery of the same brand that matches my existing 2 month old battery and connect the two?

I have read that you should connect two brand new identical batteries.  That would mean my existing almost new battery would go to waste and I would be out the cost of 2 more batteries.

What do you think?

Thanks

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
If you can find thew same brand and size, 2 months difference will be negligible unless the 1st battery has already been damaged. 
maddogmiller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:50pm
I recently purchased a new RP-178 and decided to install a second battery as well, to allow more dry camping time. I bought a second battery, installed both in an aluminum battery box (rvlockbox.com) and wired the two batteries through a selector switch (blueseasystems.com). This allows me to run one battery at a time, both in parallel, or both turned off, for storage. If you do not run the two batteries in parallel, you do not need to be concerned whether they are the same age. Just run one until it gets low, then switch to the second. Even if you buy two identical batteries at the same time, the chances of them needing replacement at the same time are slim, so you will be faced with the "identical batteries" issue again in the future.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:03pm
You could buy a 2nd battery and carry it in the back of the truck.  Just don't forget the wrenches.  And remember to charge it with a trickle charger at home.  You might try just the one battery and see how long it lasts.  You could also apply the cost of a 2nd battery to a 2000 watt generator, then you should only need one battery and be able to use the microwave.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by stevo220

Purchased a used 2015 R pod 178 with a single 12v battery.  The battery is practically brand new (2 months old). 
If I want to upgrade to two 12 volt batteries do I need to buy 2 brand new batteries at the same time or could I buy another battery of the same brand that matches my existing 2 month old battery and connect the two? I have read that you should connect two brand new identical batteries.  That would mean my existing almost new battery would go to waste and I would be out the cost of 2 more batteries.

What do you think?

What do I think? Add it and forget about it! LOL

No really as long as they are the same type of battery in parallel since your present battery all will be okay. After charging your batteries will balance out to the one with the lest charging capacity be it your two month old one or the new one.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply