R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic RM8501 refrigerator, my fix when on gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic RM8501 refrigerator, my fix when on gas
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:58pm
I wonder how many of these refrigerator problems are due to a faulty regulator?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:38pm
The one that came on my trailer was a Cavagna Group single regulator and I have seen them on the internet for around $9. It work good for almost 5 years.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:38pm
I'm down to 4/31. Interesting. When I took the Cavagna Group regulator off, I flushed it with denatured alcohol just out of curiosity. I got a lot of cloudy/somewhat dirty stuff out. My suspicion still remains that I got an overfilled tank of propane that contaminated the system - or some other contaminants.

fred

P.S. I want to add again, my propane fridge problems only arose over the last year. Three years prior - no problem.
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by JandL

There is a recent post by “spydie” describing the removal.

Thanks to all. 
Yep, I printed this earlier and will use it to work on it. The regulator replacement will be next if cleaning doesn't work.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:57am
I forgot to add to what fwunder said about something coming out of the regulator. When I removed mine, I placed it on my tailgate of my truck and it was there while I installed the new regulator on the trailer. When I was finished and putting stuff away I noticed something had flowed out of the old regulator and coated a small area of the tailgate. My tailgate is black so I don't know the color of what ever it was that flowed out. I had to use alcohol to clean it off the tailgate. So something was in my regulator also.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
M0tl3y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by AndR

Thanks for the reply. I did drive a long a bumpy road for about 80 miles. Has not seemed to make a difference. I will check the seal and then readdress the burner issue.
Thanks!

I'll second the door seal issue. I glued magnets along my door to hold it more firmly against the seal. The latch allowed a lot of movement (in my opinion) and especially during travel where items shift. I've noticed quite an improvement in cool-down time as well as overall colder foods. I put my sodas on the bottom and they're a lot colder when I drink them now, which I love. 

BTW, I started with one magnet-pair, but added two more since the door isn't perfectly flush with the frame and the extra magnets hold it more evenly across the seal. I also made sure and tighten the hinge screws as they had come slightly loose, allowing for more wiggle.

You should be able to see a picture from this Google Photos Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/69XU3ZWHM3JZ9YaI3

The 178 club
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:14am
So after reading up on the subject of "oil" contamination in propane lines I am still left puzzled.  I have read completely contradictory explanations and solutions.  

Best I can determine is that SOMETHING ends up in the propane tank.  It SHOULD stay in the tank because all that should be coming out of the tank is vaporized propane.  However, if the tank is contaminated AND relatively full AND is in use while driving, some of that contamination can end up in the lines and regulator as the liquid sloshes around.  It can then foul the regulator and/or the refer burner orifice.  

An open question is... if the burner orifice did get fouled like mine did, can I expect it to recur since whatever contamination got into the lines is still there and migrating towards the burner?  Is it possible that this NEVER happened to our 15 year old pop-up camper because we never ran the fridge while driving (it owuld not stay lit)?  

Fortunately, it is fairly easy to clean the refer burner orifice and the regulator can be checked by observing the stove burner flame height.  

Mostly curious.....

Paul
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by pgoelz

An open question is... if the burner orifice did get fouled like mine did, can I expect it to recur since whatever contamination got into the lines is still there and migrating towards the burner?  Is it possible that this NEVER happened to our 15 year old pop-up camper because we never ran the fridge while driving (it would not stay lit)?  

I believe my regulator got fouled and the contamination moved to fridge burner. Once it became apparent, I was frequently cleaning the burner and each time the fridge would return to normal for a while. Then I would have to repeat the process. When I finally decided to replace the regulator, I did find oily goop in the regulator and line from tank to front of pod.

I'm really not sure when or where the contamination came from. Not even sure if any contamination is considered "normal". When I did replace the regulator I flushed the rubber hoses with denatured alcohol. For grins, I flushed the old regulator and noted some pretty cloudy looking stuff coming out. Perhaps I got an overfilled tank somewhere that allowed liquid propane into lines? Perhaps I just got a contaminated tank somewhere? Dunno. I do know that (as of this writing) my fridge seems to be working fine now after a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem recurs because I did not flush or replace all lines to fridge, but for now it's definitely better than it was. Just as a point of reference, I have been turning the fridge on (at home) every two or three days (mid 70's ambient) - four lights. Temperature drops quickly and within 4-5 hours freezer is 6-10 degrees and fridge 34-36.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm
A follow-up on my repair. Right now it's 92F in Half Moon Bay California and my refrigerator running on gas is 38F in the main compartment and 27F in the freezer
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by fwunder

. . . I'm really not sure when or where the contamination came from. Not even sure if any contamination is considered "normal". When I did replace the regulator I flushed the rubber hoses with denatured alcohol. For grins, I flushed the old regulator and noted some pretty cloudy looking stuff coming out. Perhaps I got an overfilled tank somewhere that allowed liquid propane into lines? Perhaps I just got a contaminated tank somewhere? Dunno. I do know that (as of this writing) my fridge seems to be working fine now after a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem recurs because I did not flush or replace all lines to fridge, but for now it's definitely better than it was. Just as a point of reference, I have been turning the fridge on (at home) every two or three days (mid 70's ambient) - four lights. Temperature drops quickly and within 4-5 hours freezer is 6-10 degrees and fridge 34-36.

fred

I tried flushing my regulator with denatured alcohol also and like you, got some nasty looking crud out of it. I took the lines loose from the regulator and refrigerator also and used my compressor to blow out the line from the refrigerator end. There was a puddle of some sort of oily looking liquid on my driveway when I looked. Since I get propane from various sources, I do not know where the liquid came from. After reconnecting all lines (and leak testing), I turned the refrigerator on. After it lit, I noticed that the flame sounds stronger although I can't really see much of a difference. I'll see how it goes.

We are planning a short trip to Holly Point campground at Falls Lake next week. I'll be able to see how it performs to a certain extent, but the weather is expected to be cool. I won't be able to tell how it will be in hot weather until next summer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>