FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChoices Rpods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choices Rpods
    Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by BandL

We bought our 2018 179 in June and have camped at least 10 times in it with our two young boys. We have camped in it from the Mackinac Michigan to Florida.   We couldn't be happier with our choice. We haven't any issues with things breaking like others have reported and it still looks brand new. I would say the quality is as good as other travel trailors at this price. We had a 20 year old Jayco pop up prior that still looked great when we sold it. My husband took care of the upkeep and we will do the same for the Rpod.

I agree completely. We did have a couple of small issues when we took delivery of our 179, but this were quickly rectified and we've also used ours a lot since we got it and have not had any further issues. In fact, we've slept more nights in it than out this summer!

Your point about upkeep/maintenance is an important one. I never let any little thing go or think I'll do it later. Everything that needs attention gets it right away. 

We, too, came from a popup, a 10 year old Coachmen 1285 SST. In fact, the value the dealership gave us as a trade-in was the thing that clinched the deal for us. The tech inspecting it when we brought it in said it was pretty rare to see one so clean and well maintained. He couldn't remember the last one they took in trade that didn't need any work at all. I took it as a compliment.Big smile

Further to maintenance, I sure like the easy access to the water system and furnace in the 179. Way easier than our old popup!
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 4:59pm
I can understand where shooterrick is coming from.  We bought our 178 earlier this summer and with all the problems highlighted on the forum I was starting to wonder if we made the right choice.  Thankfully, we have thoroughly enjoyed it and are glad we made the investment.  There were a few small matters we needed to modify or address (loose trim, construction debris left on the roof of the push-out, etc) but our dealership did a great initial review and also caught a few things.  I liken it to when we were expecting our first child; everyone tells you the horror stories but no one tells you everything will be fine :).  

The nice part about hearing about the problems is that you know what to look for.  I wouldnt have thought to check some things were it not for this forum.  Thank you to everyone for their input & suggestions.

Enjoy your new purchase and just embrace the fact that nothing is maintenance free!

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:40pm
The majority of owners never or rarely post.  The problems are reported by a relatively small number of people.

I learned when doing customer support that there is a difference between qality and specification.  R pods are not Airstreams, and are built to a different price point.

There are also some well meaning folks with a long list of Must Haves that cost a bunch of money.  Almost all of these items are a matter of choice, not a necessity.

It concerns me when we have folks that hate everything.  I am afraid they scare away potential podders that would really love one.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

It concerns me when we have folks that hate everything.  I am afraid they scare away potential podders that would really love one.
It seems to be a common affliction in online forums (forei? Confused ). I have seen trolls in a few that seem determined to mess with everyone.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by shooterrick

Maybe a touchy subject.  What can owners of RPods tell me about the quality of the build?  I have seen some pretty negative reviews but human nature being what it is you almost always hear of a negative and much less often the positive.   

I'll be upfront and say I believe the QC from the factory can and should be better on the Pod. Yet with every make and model of campers there are issues. Most issues can be resolved by yourself if you have a little bit of skill but if you don't that's where a good dealership and their service department are invaluable.

We compared the Hummingbird to the R-Pod inside and out. Came to the conclusion the R-pod had a better floor plan for us and looked to be built better to our eyes. Glad we chose the Pod but I'm sure if they have a Hummingbird forum you'd hear the reverse.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by DavMar

We compared the Hummingbird to the R-Pod inside and out. Came to the conclusion the R-pod had a better floor plan for us and looked to be built better to our eyes. Glad we chose the Pod but I'm sure if they have a Hummingbird forum you'd hear the reverse.
When we got ours, the dealer had an R-179 and the "equivalent" Hummingbird on display side-by-side. As configured, the Hummingbird was more expensive, and the salesman pointed out several "inferior" points on the Hummingbird. It was clear that the salesman felt that Jayco was just starting out, and that they had not worked out the details yet. That has probably changed in the last year or so, but it is all still worth consideration.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:27pm
A relative bought a used Jayco and found the first time out that all of the cabinets were loose from the camper wall.  I don;t know of it was manufacturing or something the -r\\previous owner did.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:05pm
Keep in mind the 179 not only has rear galley but a rear window as well. 
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:34pm
I have another question concerning the wet bath.  I thought I would check it out prior to using it and I pulled the shower curtain into position but with the Fantastic fan on it sucked in the curtain.  Do you think a heavier shower curtain would work or is there a trick or clips you can buy to hold the curtain in place?
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:10pm
Was that with the door open or shut? I found that it helped to not turn the fan on until I was done with the shower. More weight at the bottom of the curtain would help, but probably would not eliminate the fan pulling the curtain inward. Too bad the door is not watertight. Then a curtain would not be needed.

One possibility: Make some openings at the top of the curtain to allow air to enter there. A mesh panel could be inserted for that purpose. Since the door is there, make it the same dimensions as the opening in the door at the top. That will allow the air to enter there instead of billowing the curtain to make  a way to enter.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>