Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChoices Rpods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choices Rpods
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:53am
Hi all.  I am a bit older (59) and have owned pop ups, tow behind, and motor homes in my time.  Would like to get back to camping as I am single now and enjoyed the people you meet.  A smaller self contained appeals to me and have a Nissan Frontier rated at 6000 lbs max.  Considering the 179 with large kitchen area and 180 with dry bath.  Both have their appeal in there own right but would like some feedback from owners before I buy as to the trade offs of bath vs large kitchen.  Never had a wet bath before so comments appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:29am
Welcome to the group! We have the 179 and really like it. The large kitchen and added storage sold it for us. The wet bath is small but you get used to it. We stay at campgrounds more often then boon docking so we have the use of the campground facilities when needed.
It boils down to going into each one for a while try the couch, the dinette and beds, bathrooms and the choice will jump out at you. Good Luck!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:37am
We forewent the larger kitchen for a bigger dinette and more storage underneath. 178.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:08am
Hi Rick,

We ended up going with the 178 only because we wanted to have the extra sleeping area for the odd time when someone else would be with us and we like cooking outside when camping.  We liked the bigger dinette as well.  Like Leo said, the campground showers would be used most of the time, so the larger bathroom was not a big priority for us.

Can't go wrong either way, it'll be your preference.  We're happy we went with Rpod tho, great units!

Kasper
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:38am
We have the 179. The larger kitchen, pantry, and small closet are it's best assets, and the wet bath is a negative one. If you happen to be large in girth, the wet bath will be a problem. I'm almost 6'4 and weigh 210 and I make it work, but I'm not real large in diameter. Installing a longer shower hose helps, and the useless sink can be removed for a little more room. The big kitchen counter is a real plus.
shooterrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:47am
Well I have some girth.  LOL   6 ft 235lbs.  Interesting taking sink out. Hmmm
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:51am
I have no problem at all with the wet bath.  It takes a minute to dry it off with a microfiber towel, if you can't wait for it to dry itself. Not saying a dry bath wouldn't be nice, but I'd go for a little extra room to put stuff instead, I think.

Most of the places we go don't have hookups, and a lot of them don't have showers so our shower gets a good bit of use.  It's probably been at least 5 years since we tent camped but I still consider any kind of hot shower a wonderful luxury.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:55am
First of all, I tow with a frontier as well. It gets the job done, and will easily pull any pod, so your all set there. I have a 172 for the wife and myself, and we find it has plenty of space. The bunk beds waste very little space and we still have the large dinette. For one person, or occasionally 2 or 3, it would be fine. I also find many state parks are very tight fits, so if you go to big you need bigger, more expensive sites. I can fit in many tent sites. My last stay, over this labor day weekend, cost me 17 bucks a night, no utilities. If you use the r-dome, now your space more than doubles. The wet bath is no issue for us, but, some may not like it.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:34am
We pulled a rental with a Frontier to try out TT camping. The rental was pod-like, but smaller. Frontier handled it well, but struggled with hills.

We now have a Titan that yawns and says, "What R-Pod?"
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
shooterrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:16am
I am leaning towards the 180 for a couple reasons. 

Dry bath and my size.  Smaller kitchen little concern.  I since single discovered freeze dried food stuffs and even use them at home.  That means no significant prep of veggies and such.  Believe it or not they taste and smell like fresh if quality is purchased.  Also no fridge veggies and very light and compact.  Just a note freeze dried not same as dehydrated and wished when I had small kids at home knew about them.  

Dry bath and privacy if I have a companion with me could be issue with some.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>