R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:25am
 I expect this will be no help, but the six year old refrigerator mounted in the slide on my 177 kept food cold ear;ier this summer in 105 degree heat while camping in Auburn, California.  It ran on propane and was on the second from coldest setting.  I have no idea why it works for most but not for all.  At the start of camping season each year I have my dealer go over the Pod and he services all the systems.  I have no problems with any of them.  Normally costs me $150.  This year was more because he resealed the top around the air conditioning, removed and resealed one window, and replaced the tires.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:45am
All I can say is that the new Norcold I put in to replace a Dometic with a bad burner nozzle, kept things nice and cold in Oakland, CA, on Sept. 2nd, when they broke a heat record @101℉.  We didn't have adequate AC current available for the air conditioner, so we slept with the fan in the head set on low (not so noisy) to move the air.  In fact, we weren't connected to shore power at all so the fridge was running on gas.  Sweat was dripping off my back as I tried to sleep.  But thankfully, the bottles of water in the fridge were nice and cold and refreshing at 2:00 a.m.  Sometimes stuff works; sometimes it doesn't.  Go figure.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
For the record, absorption-mode refrigeration is not as good as heat-pump refrigeration. That is a fact. We have had experience with friends that have lived off-grid, and they needed to use an absorption-mode refrigerator by necessity because it could run on propane. Don't expect it to cool like the big ones we are all familiar with.

FR, and almost all other RV manufacturers use these for the benefit of those that want/need to boondock. If you're going to be away from shore power, and you need refrigeration, the absorption-mode refer is probably your best choice.

Now there may be additional things that you can do to improve them. I'll probably open ours up to see about thermocouple placement, and ventilation fans, and overall venting. You'd think that FR might have done this already, but then again they are largely just assembling components.

I wish they had a care & maintenance manual. It doesn't exist; you just get a pile of "documentation". No problem, those of us using them have created our own manual.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Casey

Thanks for the philosophy lesson... but that's no help either. Why don't you go back to the begining and read what I wrote, and what my original question was. I explained the problem, and asked if there was any tips, tricks, ideas, or if I just had a dud. My rant on all the problems with the trailer was in response to a few different people telling me it was perfect and I was the problem. I'm not the guy who did nothing but complain about my trailer before I ever even used it, a lot of people are confusing me and him. I'm the guy who bought it, loaded up and headed on vacation, found some areas lacking, then went to a forum specific to the product I bought, and asked if that was normal, if there was anything I could do to improve it, or if I just had bad luck. I guess that was the wrong way to go, sorry for thinking there might be some actually useful information about rpods on an rpod forum...
Well, it's no doubt true this and the other thread have been confused by some, myself included. Twice I had to delete replies because they were in the "wrong" thread.BUT.. People have tried to help you. But no one here is magic. Once the ideas are exhausted.. and someone is still upset because the forum hasn't fixed their problem.. well.. you see what we get.I note you and the other guy, both state you are camping at 100F and above.. MOST owners don't do that and have no point of reference, so all they can do is comment on their knowledge. Won't lie to you, I have no idea if our fridge in the Pod would have kept temp at those extremes.. I never camped above about 95F. (and it kept up, but we were in the shade) It's pretty miserable here when it gets that hot, because the humidity is also about 95%.. "miserable to be outside" doesn't even come close. Most of the fixes and advice given have revolved around fixes that worked for them, or that they have read worked for others.I promise, there is NO ONE here who doesn't want to see you happy with your pod, and all it's systems working correctly for you. But, I suspect, in a way, the issue is you.. or more to the point, the way you use your pod. I can't remember if you had issues at cooler outside temps, or even if you have had the chance to try it at cooler temps yet. It's very possible you are just outside what the Dometic is capable of handling.I know in the pop-up-world, where small short fridges are the norm, MANY owners battle this problem, at cooler outside temps even, and adding upflow fans to the rear of the fridges seems to help.

I agree with furpod (as usual).

We have some of the most intelligent and experienced campers on the web, here on the forum. However, it is very difficult to diagnose and suggest repairs/modifications - sight unseen and from hundreds of miles away. Most here go "above and beyond" to try to help a fellow camper but, none are omnipotent.

Let's accept the friendly, free advice/suggestions with grace and in the spirit offered. If an issue remains unresolved then, perhaps, it may be time to look elsewhere for a solution.

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:16pm
I would like to add that there is a lot of repair information on the internet and sometimes it is had to find. It all depends on what words you use in searching Google. I also look at other trailer sites and read what other have posted to repair things and some post links to other information I never knew existed. I have in my 2012 trailer a Dometic RM8501 refrigerator. Stored on my computer for that model are 3 operation manuals (different years) 2 installation manuals (different years), 1 service manual for the RM850x series and 1 service manual for a similar but older model, it had good trouble shooting information. I also have 2 Dometic manuals (different years on venting). Here is a link to the newest one on venting.
VENT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Stuff is out there even some very good YouTube video's. I found one on how to remove the Burner Assembly from a Dometic refrigerator, it was not the exact refrigerator as mine but close enough.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:08pm
I have to consider myself lucky we were camping this weekend in 103 degree days and the refrigerator stayed under 50 and the freezer was still keeping ice cream frozen.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Casey

The door is shut tight, the burner is burning, the muffin fan in the back is running non stop, trailer is level, and it just won't get cold.  We had hot temperatures of around 100 to 105 the entire trip and the fridge would get about 10 degrees cooler at night when the air cooled down, but still nowhere even the acceptable level.   

Any ideas on what could be wrong, dead thermistor, poor ammonia charge, or did we simply get a dud??

I just stumbled on this thread and I thought I'd respond to the actual first post with my take on the RM8501 situation.  Possibly this is helpful.  

Three things.... 

First, in my experience the ammonia cooling system seems to be a bit "binary".... depending on the heat input to the boiler, it either cools normally or it does not cool at all.... even with a flame present.  I suspect this is the nature of the design, not a flaw.  In my case, our three year old RM8501 suddenly refused to cool on propane.  The flame was lit and hot gasses were exiting the top of the flue.  But the fins were kinda like you describe.... cool but by no means cold and the refer was warm.  I thought we had killed it until I discovered (when we returned home) that it worked great on AC power.  I cleaned the propane burner / gas jet / flue (which all looked perfect) and BAM.... it cools fine on propane again!  The only thing that changed was (I assume) the size of the flame.  It might be worthwhile to clean your gas jet (I know it is new, but....) and also check the pressure at the burner.  Also make sure no one has made a home in the flue or burner area.  

Second, as has been said elsewhere there are limits to the max outside / inside temperature differential the ammonia system can maintain.  I'm guessing 100 degree outside air temp is pushing it, especially if the refer side of the trailer was facing the sun.  But I am not sure that explains the fact that your inside fins were not cold.  That sounds to me more like an inadequate flame or blocked flue.  

And third, it is possible to permanently damage the cooling unit by running too far off level.  If this has happened, it is irreversible, VERY expensive to fix and not covered under any warranty.  When I thought that was what had happened to ours I called Dometic and they totally blew me off with a carefully rehearsed speech.  I was furious because this "little" tidbit of information is not in ANY documentation we received with the trailer or refer.  

Hope this helps.  

Paul
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:28pm
Decision has been made, the dometic is coming out, and a 60 liter Edgestar is going in. Simpler, more storage, better performance, and another shelf in the trailer as a bonus. Anyone want to buy a once used 3 way dometic??
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 9:47pm
How much I might be interested
         Gary
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:49am
A guy bellyaches how "worthless" his fridge is, and then asks people to give him money for it.

Humor.

I'll give you a dime. You pay delivery. Deal?
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>