R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewest style WD Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest style WD Hitch
    Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 4:32pm
But it still costs 5-30 times more than this simple one that I'm going to try.  It's all about saving money if it all works the same.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by spydie

All equalizers have SOME restrictions on backing up.  I had one of the newer ones with the anti-sway friction on the ends of the bars and in a sharp turn they'd fall out of the cradle onto the ground.  The ones with the chains on the end of the bars I never had a restriction on that I can remember back when I had that style, and I've seen very sharp turns on Youtube with this Anderson-style of Equalizer, so I doubt there's any more restriction than any other Equalizer.

I know with the friction bars I have the pod would hit my TV. The bars go past 90 degrees to release. They go almost to my bumper. I hope I never have to cut the TV and pod that deep.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 5:54pm
Springs or poly blocks, I see how it does weight distribution, but I don't see how it does anti sway.

Pick your poison. It looks like it should work. Let us know.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 5:57pm
I think I've mentioned several times that I don't think this KAAD Engineering model has anti-sway like the Anderson does.  But like I also said, I already have a sway bar on my Pod so that doesn't make any difference to me.  Sway bars only cost about $50 and if you had to install one, it's still way cheaper than any of the old technology (spring bars) Equalizer hitches.  I'll be doing a full review as soon as I get it.  Stay tuned.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:11pm
Question. My new Colorado has a tow selection to keep the transmission of shifting so much. I have load and sway control. My owners manual says to use traction control on the truck to help control trailer sway. Uses the breaks. Any thoughts on that? I will not pull with my sway/load control.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by rawest50

Question. My new Colorado has a tow selection to keep the transmission of shifting so much. I have load and sway control. My owners manual says to use traction control on the truck to help control trailer sway. Uses the breaks. Any thoughts on that? I will not pull with my sway/load control.

Every vehicle I've ever owned with "traction control" it was "on" all the time (default) and you could turn it off (although I've never seen anyone figure out how that helps), but I've never heard of it having anything to do with trailer sway.  Sorry, can't help you on that one, but I'd be interested in whatever answer someone comes up with.  My new truck has traction control but it doesn't do anything for trailer sway.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:18pm
Seems to be a moot point. I went to the Amazon link, and it is currently unavailable with no projected date for when or if it will be back in stock. I would be interested in finding out if it works well. The hitch head for the Equal-i-zer is very heavy and the bars are also not light.

However, I think those bars saved me from going into a full jackknife this past December when we hit ice with wind in Wyoming. The bar hit the rear bumper and between that and the corner of the R-Pod hitting above the driver's side rear wheel, it stopped further movement. I don't know whether this chain version would have done any better. I purchased the Hayes SwayMaster electronic sway control to have an  extra measure of control. I felt it activating a couple of times on our last trip when we hit some particularly bad spots in the road.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:23pm
He's having some trouble with his Amazon site right now but it's on Ebay. Don't buy one until I test it, though. Might save you some money.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:30pm
 There are some vehicles that do use the on board vehicle stability control system to also help control trailer sway when towing. I admit not knowing how it can detect a trailer starting to sway (maybe the rear yaw sensor in the tow vehicle?), but what I have read is that it can selectively apply the trailer brakes to dampen sway. I don't know how effective it is or if it also costs extra fuel and brake pads as well!!!

It's true that most weight distribution systems have sway control built in as part of their function, and a few are strictly weight distribution with no sway control built in. It's always prudent to try towing with neither unless the sag is too much and affects handling. Then get weight distribution hitch, and might as well by one with sway control too. I think the Andersen is one of the least expensive.

The problem using coil springs alone as damping mechanisms, is there is no dampening, just shock absorption, so the trailer will oscillate several times. The Andersen was great at eliminating that bounce. Those urethane rubber springs don't oscillate like a traditional spring.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:40pm
Anderson is not one if the least expensive. It's one of the most expensive. You can get ones with sway control starting at about $236. The springs have nothing to do with sway control as I understand it. I don't think the $70 one has any sway control. The springs provide "give" for turning.

There are other reasons foe having an equalizer hitch even if your vehicle has no problem with the weight. Everybody on this Forum that has commented on them claim they also take the bounce or "bucking" Out of the ride that everyone experiences with a single axel trailer.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>