R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewest style WD Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest style WD Hitch
    Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:14pm
I've been studying WD (weight-distributing) hitches all day and I came across this new idea.  The Anderson WD hitch with built-in sway control.  Anybody seen one or tried one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhIEc62mKA

Unfortunately, that simple setup costs a staggering $475 when you can still buy E2 WD hitches for about $232.

However, (and there is always a "however") I just talked to the designer of this KAAD Engineering hitch.  He claims he based it off the Anderson hitch, and he talked to Anderson first and told them what they had done wrong.  He says he's corrected Anderson's problem areas and has a better hitch (for about $69 on Amazon, and he'll send you $20 back if you write a review, good or bad).  After talking to him over an hour today, I'll recap some of his sentiments (your mileage may vary).  He said the anti-sway of the Anderson is built in the ball which rotates in a tapered bushing (which will wear out) to create the necessary friction.  And they use less expensive poly 'springs' which are not as good as real springs.  And their profit is almost $300 (the aluminum piece in theirs is the most expensive part).  His design is much simpler than the Anderson as it uses a stationary ball and anchor point and real springs.  He's trying to break into a market where there is a "sea of HD hitches... all based on very old technology."  So he's selling them for less than it costs to produce them just to get some out on the market, and he has a 30-day money-back guarantee.  Here is his website:

http://kaadengineering.com/weight-distribution-anti-sway-hith/

Here is the Amazon site to buy it:
https://goo.gl/REZhZH

I'm going to get one and try it.  Sure costs a lot less than the traditional type.  If it doesn't work, I'm not out anything.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:23pm
From a quick look, and if I understand the pictures, it would have a serious limit on turning radius; a particular problem when backing up. The "outside" spring would limit the turning radius so it looks like you would have to disconnect before backing. The Anderson gets good reviews for sway but not so good for weight distribution. My preference is still the E2/Equalizer. Reese and Bulldog also make versions but I've not really studied them.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:44pm
All equalizers have SOME restrictions on backing up.  I had one of the newer ones with the anti-sway friction on the ends of the bars and in a sharp turn they'd fall out of the cradle onto the ground.  The ones with the chains on the end of the bars I never had a restriction on that I can remember back when I had that style, and I've seen very sharp turns on Youtube with this Anderson-style of Equalizer, so I doubt there's any more restriction than any other Equalizer.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by CharlieM

From a quick look, and if I understand the pictures, it would have a serious limit on turning radius; a particular problem when backing up. The "outside" spring would limit the turning radius so it looks like you would have to disconnect before backing. The Anderson gets good reviews for sway but not so good for weight distribution. My preference is still the E2/Equalizer. Reese and Bulldog also make versions but I've not really studied them.

The E2 is what I have and I am pleased with it. You do not have to disconnect to back up or turn deep. I am fairly new to camping so glad to hear positive comment on the E2.

Installed an electric jack which really makes it easy to hookup. Before that I was cranking my butt off getting it connected and in place.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:17am
Yes, a lot of people are using the E2 and that's what I started looking at first because a lot of guys recommend it, but this new one that I posted is new technology.  No heavy steel bars like the old technology.  This is so simple it's a wonder someone didn't come up with it a long time ago, plus it costs a LOT less than the old heavy bar models.  Since I already have a sway bar mount on my Pod, I was thinking about getting the old style steel bars with the chain connector on the end.  They are about $100 less than E2 and do the same thing, but the new "all-chain" models I posted above cost $70 instead $150 (or $260 for E2).  Can't see any reason to just throw away money on old technology.

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:54am
I have the Andersen Hitch and really like it.  This "new" hitch based on the Anderson looks very similar.  I wonder how the anti-sway feature is implemented?

Does the ball rotate with the bracket underneath it?  Is there metal-on-metal friction?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by geewizard

I have the Andersen Hitch and really like it.  This "new" hitch based on the Anderson looks very flimsy to me.  While it might work on a very light trailer, I would not trust it for my R-Pod.

Actually the only difference between the two is the expensive aluminum ball mount on the Anderson and the cheap poly 'springs'.  The one I just bought has more expensive 500 lb springs on each side instead of the cheap poly ones, but the chains do look lighter.  However, he's an engineer and I'm sure he knows the strength of the chains.  He took a good idea and took the "fluff" (and cost") out of it and made a "better mousetrap."  Don't confuse the price of $474 Anderson hitches with better performance.  they both work on the exactly same principal.  Instead of using spring bars, they are using bridge triangulation technology.  I really liked the Anderson.  I found it first and watched the videos.  Then I found the price and said "no way.  I can buy just about any WD hitch for that" (but in reality you buy them for about $150 and don't need to spend $500 on a WD hitch.  The end result is the same with all of them).  Then I found this engineer that had designed a simpler one for a lot less money.  It will work the same except I don't think it has any anti-sway.  But like I said, I have a sway bar on my pod now so it makes no difference and would be foolish to spend $474 instead of $49 (it costs $69 but he'll give you $20 back if you send him a review, good or bad).
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 3:43pm
Sure sounds interesting doesn't it?  I'm one of those E2 guys and paid a whack of cash for it.  But it would seem to me that the difference in price has to show up somewhere.  Nevertheless...if you do go all in and purchase one then with actual hands on a real unit you should be able to tell fairly quickly if it's up to the task!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 3:45pm
Yes, that's my game plan.  I ordered it today.  It should be here next week then I'll check it out and give a review, good, bad, or indifferent.  If it doesn't work (I don't see how it couldn't.  It's a logical assumption if you know a little about trig and bridge structures) I'll go with the old fashioned ($150) ones with bars and chains on the end since I don't need the newer (more expensive) ones with anti-sway friction built on the bar-ends.  I have an old style sway bar already installed.  But this one will work just like the Anderson one (minus the anti-sway) and they are getting almost $500 for those, and people like them, so you have to assume this method works.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 4:26pm
Yah. We're another E2 family. It works; it's simple; doesn't cost a lot.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>