R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewest style WD Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Skip View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest style WD Hitch
    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:49pm
My expensive Anderson is great, easy to use, I can back up still hooked up and set up was easy. I recommend Anderson, worth the high price. Also note the brake lining material used for sway is guaranteed.
What happened to the knock off ??

Camper owner 47 years, 2 tents, 6 trailers seem to think I’ve seen it all!
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:38am
I have the Andersen and it is a great hitch. Just like all WDH take the time to read the instructions and set it up properly.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 11:04am
The last post about this was from 2017. While I would also like to see he results, I don't know if we will.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by spydie

I should have the review up by Saturday Sept 9. 

Did you ever get the KAAD WDH?  If so, how did it do?

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 1:19pm
They should at Least have switched the fresh water and grey tank. Very bad design. The campsites I go to don't allow me to find water when I get there so I have to pull with full tank. It doesn't affect the mpg any measurable amount. Sway can be controlled and no RV should ever be built that you can't Tow with a full tank
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:35pm

No, I meant behind.  The fresh water tank is placed the farthest to the rear.  Ahead of that, and still behind the axle is the grey water.  Ahead of the axle is the black water.  A very poor design.  Forest River really has no idea how to design a travel trailer after all their years in business.

I guess, given the alternatives, FR chose the best of bad options. The FW tank is the easiest to fill or empty, even without a dump station. The black tank position is determined by the toilet location so the gray tank falls wherever. There's no perfect solution to all requirements. Just watch the tongue weight.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:16pm
In that case I wouldn't tow very far with a full FW tank; just from the last water source to the campsite. Not good from a sway and an MPG standpoint. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by CharlieM

..........I'm hoping to eliminate all sway with a full tank of fresh water (300 lbs way behind the axle.) and not have to use a sway bar, but we'll see how that works.

I assume you meant 300 lbs ahead of the axle. 300 lbs behind the axle would be bad news.

No, I meant behind.  The fresh water tank is placed the farthest to the rear.  Ahead of that, and still behind the axle is the grey water.  Ahead of the axle is the black water.  A very poor design.  Forest River really has no idea how to design a travel trailer after all their years in business.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:41am

..........I'm hoping to eliminate all sway with a full tank of fresh water (300 lbs way behind the axle.) and not have to use a sway bar, but we'll see how that works.

I assume you meant 300 lbs ahead of the axle. 300 lbs behind the axle would be bad news.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by bob-Pod

I'm also very curious on how it will work.  We are putting a cargo tray on the tongue and adapting it to carry our bikes.  With the weight on the cargo carrier, bikes and rack, I will be adding a fair amount of weight to the tongue.  So I am finally looking to add a WDH after towing Rpods for 8 years.  I have almost sold myself on the Andersen hitch.  I wish someone would have had one at PNW roundup.  Hopefully you will be able to test out the new one before I have to buy one.

Hold out a little longer.  I hope to do the test and review by the end of next week.  If he mails it on Monday like he said, it should be here by thursday and my mail doesn't go until late in the day so probably won't get to test it until a week from tomorrow (Friday) Sept 1.  I should have the review up by Saturday Sept 9.  I still don't think it has any anti-sway, and if you need that, you can add a conventional sway bar for about $50.  Or you can spend $474 and get the Anderson.  They work the same except you'll pay about $400 for anti-sway part of it! (smile)

Today I took the spare tire off my Pod and weighed it.  With the tire mount it weighs about 67 lbs.  I decided to help my trailer sway by hauling the tire in the back of my truck.  If I need more tongue weight, I'll put a spare-tire mount on the tongue of my Pod and move it that.  I'm hoping to eliminate all sway with a full tank of fresh water (300 lbs way behind the axle.) and not have to use a sway bar, but we'll see how that works.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>