Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrpod decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod decision
    Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 3:08pm
The boss said no stepping on a wet floor in the middle of the night for her so we have the 180 model. More then enough room for us and the dog. Plenty of water to shower and the only time we use propane to heat the water is when we first hook up to shore power and want it fast or when were not using shore power.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 4:58pm
Why would the floor be wet?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
pedalho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 8:49pm
We have a 179 and are both a wee bit thicker as well as older. If we could do it over again, we would go with the 180. Yes, we camped while serving in the Army and tent camped there after. We also had a pop up and our 179 is better than all of that, but showering is not an option for us. Basically we use the bath for the toilet and for a storage space during transport. Hindsight. 
moseyman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 10:35am
We had a 177 for years. (step up over a lip into the tiny wet-bath)

We upgraded to a 180 this year primarily because of the bathroom.

I'm not as agile at 3 am as I used to be.
Moseyman & Miss Izzy

'06 Toyota Tacoma Double cab v6
'17 RPOD 180 'Serenity'
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 11:29am
I've thought a lot about this since you (SportBikeNut) posted. My personal perspective is useless since I'm still completely in love with backpacking and dispersed tent/pickup-bed camping, and also in love with our 179 which I consider the ultimate in luxury. The 179 floor plan is best for us. But ... I'm also empathetic and I have a number of close women friends who aren't campers but would enjoy RVing and I've been thinking about it from their perspective. At our various homes they spend a lot of time in the bathroom after the shower goes off, getting ready (this is said NOT in criticism, just describing) even when other rooms are available to move to. They emerge fully dressed and "ready". Maybe many men do this too, the man I live with doesn't linger, just very quickly emerges clean :-) but I bet there are many who do the "getting ready" thing as well. All of which is to say, I'm guessing the best opportunity for your wife to fully and comfortably enjoy your RVing time together, which is what we all want for her and for you and for all of us - would be to provide a dry bath so she has that space to do her thing and to take her time doing it. 

For those with 179s who lament the lack of privacy coming out of the shower, consider using a tension rod with black-out fabric (mine is white, it's readily purchasable, let me know if you need sources) in front of the dinette windows. Or you can put blackout fabric onto a lightweight rod and just set it on the valance. Hard to describe in writing but easy to put up and take down and you don't have to fuss with closing the windows or the blinds. Hope this helps at least a bit, and please do let us know what you decide. -Live2Camp
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
OurPodRod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:41pm
It is a hard decision to pull the trigger on one when the good features of each are so attractive.  We went with the 178 for the traditional camping experience of 5 or  6 people  around the dinette for games etc.  We have been amazed how roomy it is. Nothing more fun than laughing around the table as it pours rain outside.  After tent camping, the bathroom is heaven, even if small and agree Navy shower is the way to go to conserve filling up the grey tank.  NO problems with having hot water. 
Zimms
2018 178 R Pod
TV 2016 Chevy Colorado
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:52pm
We just found a very good slity used 178 and love it. What ever you get don't second guess it. They are all good.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
sportbikenut View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:44am
Hello - Back again to give an update. First, wanted to thank everyone for the information and guidance. After MUCH research of many brands/models/types etc., I decided to stay with FR, but went with the Mini Lite line. Ended up with the Flagstaff 21DS. Yes, it is heavier, not that much more expensive (in real dollars, MSRP's are significantly higher). With the larger slide, it feels much bigger inside and looks and feels more luxurious. 
I picked up a 2018.5 model at the end of the year and was able to get in one trip before storage and winterization. All went well and very enjoyable. Hope to get in many more trips and can't wait for spring. 
Thanks again.  
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:52am
You made a good choice.  While we love our RPOD 180 it is too small for long trips.  We decided that we have two more years of trips that would be three weeks or less.  Then we will trade in our Jeep Cherokee for a Grand Cherokee and buy a larger RV and go cross country for several months.  For long trips the climbing over a person in bed, the small refrigerator not being able to hold a gallon of milk, the lack of storage space so we live out of suitcases and nowhere to sit comfortably to watch TV, read a book are all reasons to upgrade.  The Micro Lite 21DS and 21FBRS are on our short list.  It seems that adding 1200 lbs and 4 feet of length and 1.5 feet width will make all the difference in the world.  There are many on this board who travel great distances in their RPODS and they have a TV that could tow much larger RVs.  I cannot see the logic to that since the prices are not much more for a bigger unit.  We bought the RPOD because it was the lightest with the most  features and can be towed well with our Cherokee. Its the best for weekend camping but I cannot recommend it for long term touring around the country.  Just my opinion
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by sportbikenut

Hello - Back again to give an update. First, wanted to thank everyone for the information and guidance. After MUCH research of many brands/models/types etc., I decided to stay with FR, but went with the Mini Lite line. Ended up with the Flagstaff 21DS. ... Hope to get in many more trips and can't wait for spring. 

Congratulations on making a choice you're really happy with! Wishing you and your wife lots of great trips and fun times. Now you can focus on planning those trips Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>