Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrpod decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod decision
    Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:35pm
Hello. Considering getting an rpod. Looking at the 178, 179, and 180. I like the space of the 178 and 179, but is the wet bath usable? How many people actually use the shower? And is the hot water heater even big enough to have a long enough shower in any of the units? I like the dry bath in the 180, but it takes up so much valuable room. I watched the pros and cons YouTube video of the 179 vs 180 and he raised some good points. And information or recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:35pm
The shower is fantastic if you're used to tent camping and not getting to take a shower at all.  It's all relative.  It probably isn't like showering at home, no matter what.  As for the WH, there's plenty of hot water for a shower, but unless you have full hookups, with sewer, the problem is the amount of fresh water in the tank for a week's stay and the possibility of filling the grey tank.  I think most people take "navy showers" in the pod.  Get wet, turn the water off, get soapy, rinse, turn the water off.  That's why RV shower heads usually have cut offs.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 6:59am
We have a 180. I like the privacy of the bathroom. Like my wife says "you aren't stepping right out into the living space when you get out of the shower" You can get dressed etc. in your own space.No need to close all the windows in the camper just so you can get out of the shower.We use the shower when we camp. I turn both gas and electric on when someone is in the shower to recover hot water quicker.I turn off the propane after the showers are done in the morning. We don't take long showers and have never had an issue with running out.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:13am
Welcome to the group! We have a 179, we use the shower on a regular basis when camping. It works well, though we prefer KOA's with full hookups, so we have plenty of water and sewer so those aren't an issue.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:32am
178. Living/storage space was more important to us than bathroom space (180) or kitchen space (179).

No long, steamy, hot showers. But, hey, you are camping. Navy showers as mentioned above. Use campground shower for the more home-like shower.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
sportbikenut View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:26am
Thanks for all of the quick replies. Much appreciated. Yes, I'm used to tent camping. Still do motorcycle tent camping too. The most trailer we've had was a nice Coleman Sun Valley Pop Up. But, as you know lots of work with set up and take down. Plus I want a hard side for western National Park trips in the future. So, most camping will be at campgrounds with facilities, but not those Park trips. So, for space and storage, I would lean toward the 178/179 but the wife will want that 180 bathroom. 
Next comment. I've of course noticed a growing list of knock-offs. Has anyone compared the quality of them against the rpod? Also, I've noticed that if bought at Couches, one gets a fully loaded unit as compared to the competition and at a good price. I like the recent upgrades that FR has done too, like window in door, power jack, 15" tires, awning, higher ride height etc.. This post is getting long, better stop here!  Thanks again!   Just thought of another question, if you use the rear for a receiver bike rack, where do you put the spare?  In the Tow vehicle?  Thx.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by sportbikenut

Next comment. I've of course noticed a growing list of knock-offs. Has anyone compared the quality of them against the rpod?
That would be a great idea for a thread; where people might do qualitative comparisons of all the various R-pod knock-offs. Of course, most of the posts would be subjective, because no one buys two to compare on an apples-to-apples basis.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:21pm

For me, a "dry" bathroom is important as, I use it. I spend most of my time outside anyway so, a little more living space didn't matter much. Regarding showers - see the comments on "Navy" showers above. You can do a good job with 4-5 gallons of water.

Regarding the bike rack, I don't favor placing weight (far) in back of the axle. There are those that do it, however. It would be my least desirable place. I have a truck and the bike travels in the bed. There are kits for mounting the spare tire on the tongue. Check Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:24pm
We went with the 180 for the dry bath and love it.  We were going to get a Truma tankless water heater so we would not run out of hot water.  But guess what?  We still take long showers and have not run out of water.  We use both propane and electric and it works great.  So no need for the Truma but it is a nice option if you want more hot water (when connected to water supply). While there is less storage space we can do the mods people have suggested to get more space but there is no mod you can do to make a dry bath 
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by sportbikenut

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Much appreciated. Yes, I'm used to tent camping. Still do motorcycle tent camping too. The most trailer we've had was a nice Coleman Sun Valley Pop Up. But, as you know lots of work with set up and take down. Plus I want a hard side for western National Park trips in the future. So, most camping will be at campgrounds with facilities, but not those Park trips. So, for space and storage, I would lean toward the 178/179 but the wife will want that 180 bathroom. 
Next comment. I've of course noticed a growing list of knock-offs. Has anyone compared the quality of them against the rpod? Also, I've noticed that if bought at Couches, one gets a fully loaded unit as compared to the competition and at a good price. I like the recent upgrades that FR has done too, like window in door, power jack, 15" tires, awning, higher ride height etc.. This post is getting long, better stop here!  Thanks again!   Just thought of another question, if you use the rear for a receiver bike rack, where do you put the spare?  In the Tow vehicle?  Thx.

Wife is wrong.

But she wins.

I looked at a Comet this past week. Dead ringer for a 178. Cheaper workmanship. More $. Happy with the 178.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>