Topic ClosedHello, maybe Podder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, maybe Podder
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:08pm
Looking and down to 3 different makes with an RP 179 as leading candidate.
We will use our 2016 Venza, V6, tow package.
We had a couple motor homes back in the late eighties, have more recently had hard top tent trailers.
We are both retired and planning to see and travel Canada and the US until they take away our licenses.
Being old and lazy, with a few issues including sleep apnea and arthritis in the hands.
The unit we are looking at has the rolled awning and manual tongue jack, I have a good Dewalt portable drill to use on the stabilizers and wonder it that will also run the tongue jack and awning, anyone done that?
These units come with 3 matching tires but only 2 matching rims, asking for 3 matching rims at dealers seems to draw very blank looks, do people not rotate trailer tires anymore?  Do any of you folks do that?
The AC seems very noisey, are there quieter units or does the trailer stay cool overnight with the AC off?
How does one change a tire as there does not seem to be a jack, or is CAA/AAA the best tool?
Enough questions for now but answers to these should help us close the decision process which I imagine will generate more questions.
Cheers
Norm
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:29pm
A 179 with a tank of propane and with cooking utensils, bedding and other things most folks take camping in the unit you are pushing the 3500 pound limit the internet shows for your Venza.  Weight distribution hitch and sway control should be top on the list. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:36pm
I have a Hyundai Sante Fe with a 3500 capacity but it is Class II, which in my mind is not capable to tow an RPod on the 179 frame, maybe the Toyota is different.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:41pm
Welcome to the group!! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm
We are the original owners of a 2011 model 177.  We never rotated the pods tires although we do on our TV every 10,000 miles.  After 22,000 miles on the rpod we replaced tires last year,  not because of wear, there was plenty of tread left, but because they were expired, just over 6 years old. 
We special ordered our 177 to come w/o A/C, so I can't help on that one, but I have been in quite a few with the A/C running, and yes, you are correct, they are noisy.  I still use they cheapo handle for raising/lowering the stabilizers, takes almost 2 minutes to raise or lower.  My time is not that regimented to where I need to add the weight of a power tool (battery and charger) to save a minute or so every time I raise/lower the stabilizers.  I do carry a floor jack with me in the event of a flat and have used it when I take the tire off to inspect the brakes, I place it as close as possible to the wheel, works well.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:18am
Originally posted by NAP1947

The unit we are looking at has the rolled awning and manual tongue jack, I have a good Dewalt portable drill to use on the stabilizers and wonder it that will also run the tongue jack and awning, anyone done that?

People have used a drill for the tongue jack and stabes. While it's generally no big deal, doing the stabes with the handle means using both hands, so I would have to put my drink down.. and turning the tongue jack could cause sloshing.. I know of no one who has used the drill on the awning.

These units come with 3 matching tires but only 2 matching rims, asking for 3 matching rims at dealers seems to draw very blank looks, do people not rotate trailer tires anymore?  Do any of you folks do that?

Nope, people don't. BECAUSE, RV tires almost always age out rather then wear out.

The AC seems very noisey, are there quieter units or does the trailer stay cool overnight with the AC off?

The a/c is no louder in a Pod then in any other camper. The difference is, in a Pod, it's VERY close to you while running. As far as staying cool with it off.. If not using climate control, ANY space will atain ambient.

How does one change a tire as there does not seem to be a jack, or is CAA/AAA the best tool?

Jack the pod up with a bottle or scissor or floor jack, change the tire.

Enough questions for now but answers to these should help us close the decision process which I imagine will generate more questions.
Cheers
Norm
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:21am
Welcome............we have the 179 which was our first TT other than a tent trailer.  We started off with a Toyota Rav Sport with the tow package.  It was rated for 3500.  We were very particular weight wise what went into the TV and the TT as we were right at the limit - no doubt about it.  So if you decide on the 179 and all its wonderful space realize that you got one of the bigger Pods and you will be right at your limit. WD and anti sway that has been already mentioned should be at the top of the list.  
Haven't rotated the tires yet but with only two matching rims looks like it will be from one side to the other.
Yep - the AC sounds like a train is coming through the unit - you have to spend  more money to get a unit with variable speeds - but you do get used to it and it does cool the Pod down nicely.  We've never had to use it at night.
Haven't had to change a tire yet but I,m willing to bet that those nice looking alumium rims weld to the hub like they do in vehicles - CAA is probably your best bet.
If you go Pod keep in mind the next Canadian FROG event to be held in Kingston again next year.  This year we had about 10 Pods there and had a great time - evening cocktail hour, FR supplied meals, nightly campfires, and on the finale day a "Pod Tour"  You get to see inside everybody's Pod and admire the handiwork that people put into these things.
Oh yeah - FROG = Forrest River Owners Group.  They have a forum similiar to this one but bigger.   Thats were you will see the ralley date for next year.
Good luck with your decision.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:49am
Thank you all, I am impressed with this board and the folks on it.
We are now down to 2, the 179 and a small Sonic.

The towing issue is one that I have spent a lot of time on with my Toyota service manager and Toyota Canada to get the following information.  It is specified in the Venza owners manual that the towing capacity 3500 lbs is based on the Venza having a full tank of gas, the factory tow package, the driver and a passenger in the passenger front seat, their associated luggage?, and a complete hitch (I plan on using the Anderson WDH which is 60 lbs).  The dry weight of the 179 we looked at with everything but the power tongue jack was 2880 lbs.  We added 400 lbs for water and stuff leaving us about a 10% safety margin.

I understand the usable tire life is less than the usable tread but it seems to me to be a waste not to use all 3 tires when they will all have to be replaced at the same time, I always did it on our campers, maybe I am OCD.  I have a small floor jack will have to figure that out when we finalize.

Another question or 2, I have read a number of posts where people have dragged the rear end and ruined the rear stabilizers, is this an issue, how does one deal with it, we do not plan to do any off-roading.

We both need CPAP machines and I think I will get an inverter so we can use them off the battery, I have done some research but have not found a built-in I like but have seen a combined converter/inverter with advanced monitoring and intelligent charger, we will have more than one battery so it seems that might be a good choice, does anyone have experience and advice?

Thanks and Cheers
Norm
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 10:36am
I think the concept of rotating tires on an R-pod is a waste of time and energy. Unless you put 15,000 miles per year on your 'pod, the tires will age-out long before they wear out. There is no "driven" wheel on a TT, so the need for rotation is almost non-existent.

Unless/until you have a flat, the spare will never be put on the 'pod. If the looks of the steel wheel on the spare drives you nuts, keep a cover on the spare. Problem solved. If you'd rather have an "appearance" wheel on the spare, understand that it will make it more of a theft target.

It sounds like your proposed TV will be right at the edge of its capability. You would do well to at least have a WDH, and an anti-sway would probably be a good idea as well. Look at the weight of the TV, and compare it to the weight of the TT. If the weight of the TT is at 100% or more of the weight of the TV, then you are going to want all the help you can get.

That's my 2 cents.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm
I think you're under estimating what the total weight of the trailer will be. I think you would be better off figuring on 3500 lbs as actual weight or even a little more. I would want a more capable tow vehicle. When we bought our 179 I towed it home with a vehicle rated to tow 5000 lbs. It had a tow package, but I wasn't happy with the way it drove, and lack of reserve power. It would've struggled up long grades, and I think the weight would have been detrimental to the longevity to the engine and transmission plus my mileage was only 12 mpg for the trip home. I never towed the trailer with it again and bought a new truck with a 10,000 lbs tow capacity. The braking is much better, the mileage is the same or better, there is always extra power on hand, and I have plenty of room and extra carrying capacity I need it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>