Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-151 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-151 Owner
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:45pm

Just yesterday, my wife and I purchased a new 2009 R-Pod 151. The dealership was anxious to sell the unit and we were eager to buy. It was a match made in heaven. We have a Jay Flight 26BH that we leave at our seasonal site at the campground. The problem is that it's on the edge of being able to be comfortably towed with my Tacoma. In addition, it's not really State Park friendly due to it's size. We really miss camping during the 3 or so momths of winter, so we though the R-Pod would be the perfect unit for us. Our 151 is the smallest available, but should suit us just fine.

As it stands now, we'll be doing the demo and picking it up this upcoming Saturday, which is almost a week away.  If I can make arrangements with work, I'll try to get it mid-week.  The problem is the dealer closes at 5pm and it a bit more than an hour from my location.  Coupled with the fact that I don't get done work until later isn't helping much.  If I can get Wed or Thurs off, I can head on down and pick this baby up and get her home.

I'm really impressed with what I've been reading about this R-Pod.  It does appear that I have the least popular model.  It seems that everyone has the 17* series, I'm assuming for the larger size.  We purposely picked the 151 due to it's small size, even though it's packed with function and feature.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm
Congratulations this_is_nascar.  I am sure you'll both enjoy the RP151.  I came very close to buying that model myself, but ended up getting the RP173.  Although the 173 is a little bigger, the 151 "felt" roomier inside.

Keep posting and let us know when you pick it up and what you think of it.  If you have any questions, there are plenty around to help.

Hope to see you "out there"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:51pm
Welcome, nascar.  Feel free to let us know about your experience at your dealer in the Dealer Review section - and about yourself in the Introduce Yourself section.  I hope to see a 151 some day, they are rare.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 9:17pm
Welcome Nascar to RPod Owners forum.  Glad to see you made it here too.  Hope you can make it to the Eastern Roundup in June.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:54am
Congrats on the purchase and WELCOME to the forum!Smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:48pm
Again, Congrats!  Happy camping. Approve
four peas
mikeoregon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 6:39pm
Hi, this-is-nascar (no underscore on ipad!), we just got a 2010 RP-151 as well. Since we are upgrading from tent camping, it feels spacious. We are just sorting out where to store everything, especially clothes. We are adding stick-on hooks to walls. We haven't got hot water yet and can't figure out why--valves look right and all switches are on. Thank goodness for forum, or we'd be stumped about operating stuff.
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 2:53pm

Obviously, you really want to make sure you have water in your hot water heater before firing it up, otherwise you will damage it.  Make sure you pull the lever a bit on the pressure release valve to allow whatever air is in there to escape.  You should also see some water coming out.  When you attempt to fire the HWH by pressing the switch inside, do you here it start to click after several seconds?  Does that clicking ever turn into the sound of the HWH firing?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm

No, do not pull the lever on the pressure release valve.  The only way to ensure your WH is full is to open a hot water valve (usually the sink) and let it run until it stops spitting air.  I recommend you do this at home if you will be "dry camping" (no hookups) otherwise you'll use 6 gallons from your fresh water tank to fill the WH after you get in camp.

Your WH must maintain an air cushion at the top for expansion.  Pulling the pressure release valve will remove most of that cushion.  Modern home water systems do the same thing by adding an air bladder on the hot water line, usually above the home's WH.

That said, when its time to empty the WH at the end of the season you need to open the two "low point drains".  Then pull open the pressure release valve to break the vacuum and allow the water to escape.  Alternatively you can take out the anode rode - but make sure you put it back in after inspecting the rod to prevent the threads from rusting.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mikeoregon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:48pm
Hi, guys--

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Our hat water did come on after awhile. Perhaps it was slow because it was on electric heat? Not sure.

Mike
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>