R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSOLAR PANEL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLAR PANEL
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:56pm
Tars Tarkas....thanks, that was very helpful. Are you a NC Tarheel? I was born in Asheville...spent a summer in the Smokies a couple of years ago. Had a Jayco Kiwi then. Sold it and have a new R-pod 171 now and can't wait to get back to those cool mountains. I will take your advice and see how I like what I have already before over extending myself. But if I decide to go solar, the camper is solar ready, and I will probably get a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase (although I googled cheaper brands). By the way, I grew up in Hickory, lived in Flat Rock for 30 years, and never been to the Outer Banks..I'm going to treat myself one of these days. I'm a retired Marine Corps captain with nothing but time on my hands.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:02pm
Tars Tarkas....thanks, that was very helpful. Are you a NC Tarheel? I was born in Asheville...spent a summer in the Smokies a couple of years ago. Had a Jayco Kiwi then. Sold it and have a new R-pod 171 now and can't wait to get back to those cool mountains. I will take your advice and see how I like what I have already before over extending myself. But if I decide to go solar, the camper is solar ready, and I will probably get a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase (although I googled cheaper brands). By the way, I grew up in Hickory, lived in Flat Rock for 30 years, and never been to the Outer Banks..I'm going to treat myself one of these days. I'm a retired Marine Corps captain with nothing but time on my hands.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:30pm
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:47am
Good answer all around.
No need to buy stuff unless you find a need for it. You will figure it out as you go. If you are just pulling into a Walmart for the night your TV (tow vehicle) should charge things up while you drive and solar wont help unless you stay the day with panels out or mount them to your roof.

100W Renogy Solar Suitcase. Mine keeps me charged up if there is good sun. Ebay $200

I run 2 G24 (Stock) batteries, and get 4 days out of them with no solar, when I try. With solar we run the  fan vent (on 1) all night every night
When they die ( I'm trying) I will go for the twin 6v upgrade but so far power has not been an issue. I have a generator and solar and hardly ever run the generator.  

I replaced my Television with a 12 volt one with a built in DVD player. So they are available and easy to find on Ebay. Then we had a power surge that killed it and now we run no television and I removed the antenna. Has changed the way we camp for the better.
cheers John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12