R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSOLAR PANEL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLAR PANEL
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:48am
I have a 2016 171 R-pod. I need to know what is the smallest and minimum solar panel I need. I understand it is for trickle charging the battery when boon docking. Is that right? So if I am traveling, lets say and I spend a night in a Wal Mart or somewhere then I can safely use the lights, tv, and fan for let's say one night safely then the next day the tow vehicle will charge the battery back up. But if I'm sitting for a couple nights or more without shore power, solar will keep the battery up as long as I don't use other than what I mentioned. Please tell me if that is correct, or explain the error in my understanding. Thanks yall
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:05am
Do you have a 12v tv? 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
DaleH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:43am
A workable solar power system to do what you need it to do has to have adequate storage (battery) capacity and adequate generating (solar panels/charge controller) capacity. It really is a matter of being aware of just how much power you are using each day and whether you can replace that efficiently. The problem is that the sun doesn't always cooperate, so excess capacity is always good. 

I just bought a Go Power! 120 watt suitcase solar kit. I'm very impressed with it so far, nice heavy (efficient) cables, numerous connection options including a plug and play connector for the trailer's solar ready connector. Our new R-Pod came with a single 90 Ah battery and it's not enough for us to go off the grid with. I'll be replacing it with a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries to boost our storage to 220 Ah or so. 

As Leo mentioned, unless you have a 12 volt TV, you'll need an inverter which adds another layer of complexity and power consumption.

I'm sure others will be along to add to this.

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:29pm
We have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase system. It keeps our two  six volt golf cart 220 ah batteries charged. We are out for several months at a time . We left home on July 15 and have been on the road for almost a month now. Between driving with the tv recharging and the solar  system, we have no need to hook into the power grid.
We use solar interior lights, led lights in the pod and the propane stove and refrigerator. We use the 12 volt water pump but do not use the water hea.
After a nights usaage, our batteries may drop to 12.4, but they are recharged to 12.9 or 13.0 by noon on solar or within about 3 hours if we are driving.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 1:37am
The tow vehicle can charge the pod.  If you are only stopping overnight at a Walmart there should be no problem.  It helps if the wire in the tow vehicle that goes to the recharge slot on the plug on the back of the tow vehicle is 10 gauge and not the usual 12 gauge.  If staying a few days without traveling, you may need to recharge using the tow vehicle a couple of times.  I installed an extra 12 v battery and can go several days without recharging.  If you have AC and need to use it off grid the only option is a generator.  I have a 3000 watt champion inverter generator which runs on propane that we use for recharging the battery.  Actually got the generator to run the fridge, freezers and Television in the house when there is a power failure.  It runs on natural gas, propane, or gasoline.  Solar is something we are considering......but it would be just to be more environmentally friendly, not because it is needed.   
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:50am
When you say 12 volt tv are you talking about television??
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:08am
looks like tv is tow vehicle? I just googled suitcase solar kits and a lot came up. How do i pick a quality one for reasonable price?
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:10am
also, if I go with 2 golfcart batteries, which ones, and capacity??
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:39am
Footnote:How do I avoid overkill? Maybe the factory system I already have is sufficient. How do I know, short of experience?? I don't want to buy two golf cart batteries if the one I already have will do the trick. ??
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:35pm
Since you seemed to be talking about watching television on battery power I'm pretty sure Leo was asking if your television was 12v.  They used to exist back in the 30s maybe, but are there anything other than 12v trucks/automobiles anymore?

I got a 100W Renogy Solar Suitcase and am very pleased with it so far.  I've only used it for one week on the Outer Banks though.  That's a much different environment than Fall or Winter in the Smoky Mountains, where solar will be pretty much useless.  So think about where you will use yours if you get one.  There are cheaper ways out if you're up on Ohm's Law and a little handy, but the Renogy suitcase is pretty much plug and play.

As for whether to go for 2 x 6v batteries or stick with what you have, being cheap, I'd stick with what you have at least until the first sign of it failing or not keeping up with your needs.  What are you going to do with it otherwise?  With with a boost from solar it will let you camp for days on it's own.  I have 1 12v battery.  I also have a generator though.  I stay at Walmarts fairly often and would never hook up solar or a generator for that unless it's too hot to sleep without air con.  Solar does nothing for you there.

Unless you're planning on days away from shore power you don't need to make a snap decision about this, and even then, if it comes to it, you can charge your pod battery with jumper cables from your TV (tow vehicle).  Wait until you're comfortable with your understanding of the options and you have a better feeling for what you need for your kind of camping.  Some people (almost) always stay at commercial campgrounds with water, electricity, sewer, cable, swimming pools, miniature golf, and all sorts of other stuff and wouldn't have it any other way.  If that's you, solar panels will just waste space and money.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>