Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle - Event Date: 11 Aug 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 4:29pm
Hi there! We just purchased a new RP 179.  We do not have an adequate TV yet.  Any recommendations? Seems 1/2 ton pickups are in high demand & not easy to find used ones.  That is our first preference. Some SUVs only have a 3500 tow capacity.  

2017 Rpod 179 HRE
2018 Chevy 1500 Z71
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 4:50pm
Fords and Chevys, 1/2 tons, I'm a V8 fan, used are readily available if that is where you want to go. I would not go with 3500 but only my opinion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 4:58pm
The 3 auto markets we used to watch while living in Blaine County were Twin Falls, Boise/Meridian, and Salt Lake City. For a near-new 1/2 ton with trailer package, you might have to move decisively and have finance pre-arranged. If you're really lucky, one might find even a brake controller installed in one. If not, it's not a major addition. We added a topper and rack for camping versatility.

CarMax will give you multiple pictures and details that dealers don't share well, which includes actual odometer figure, engine & specific package features, fuel economy ratings, and close-ups of even the condition of the tires. Prices are set, and sales assistants get a flat commission per unit sold only, and you can "reserve" a vehicle you've examined for almost a week guaranteeing that when you get to the store, you'll get first dibs. Pleasant place to buy. (Just a customer; don't know anybody that works there).

We think a half-ton pickup with that smooth & stable long wheelbase plus tow package with TOW/HAUL setting handles our RP 179 in a very stable & consistent way. I've gotten no indication that equalizer bars were necessary in our travels out here now, but then I remember how windy Wyoming was.

The other thought is... when not camping will you enjoy todays 1/2-ton pick ups? We do, but it's a big vehicle that doesn't fit everyone's home, habits and lifestyle. A back-up camera is really helpful in these things. (Aftermarket install for us).

I've gotten really comfortable with it on the narrow, windy and hilly roads of Western NC, even with the RPod behind it. It took about 6-9 months to learn exactly where the wheels were on any given road. Years of driving compact 4x4s, but this was a first full-sizer for me. Works for us.

Good luck with whatever pans out for you ! Just my two cents so far.

Brad & Layli
Western NC
RP179 Hood Riv Ed.
"BG" the 10 Tundra CrewMax

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:09pm
Comment - on my 2016 Colorado the brake controller wiring was there, but it required wiring it in. On my 2006 Silverado it was plug and play, took 15 minutes. Also I had to put a fuse in the under hood fuse panel to have RV 12 charge line, all total, 20 minutes of work. I had to add a back up camera, but no biggee. BLUF is a very reliable TV for less than 12K.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:54pm
The tow/haul settings are not real noticeable when accelerating or driving at steady speed.  I really like it when going down hill and the transmission normally stays in an appropriate gear for engine braking. 

I also like my half ton pickup, but I have no idea what BLUF stands for.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:11pm
Bottom Line Up Front.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:55pm

Think "full size" and "V8".

I've been camping and towing for decades and will make this comment:

I've never heard a single soul complain of having a tow vehicle that was "too powerful" however, I have heard many complain of under-powered, too small of tow vehicle.

IdahoPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:36am
Thank you everyone for your input!  It was very helpful.  We purchased a Silverado 1500 4WD. Nice motor downsize from our previous 2500HD Duramax Allison we used to tow our 35' 5th wheel.  We are so excited to go camping with our new Rpod & truck. Towing the 35' was very stressful & not conducive for quick weekend trips. 
2017 Rpod 179 HRE
2018 Chevy 1500 Z71
Linbeets View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm
I tow mine with a Jeep Wrangler. That is a little 2 door jeep. Great tow vehicle, plus 17 mpg!
Lin
 Post Reply Post Reply