R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPicking up our R-Pod 171 Fri...Howdy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RockyMtns View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking up our R-Pod 171 Fri...Howdy.
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:09pm
Our Dometic AC is right on par with most window shakers units.. We had Norcold AC's on our last 40' RV with in-ceiling vents, it was much quieter but our factory Dometic AC is acceptable, I would not spend money changing the unit, it's always gonna be louder because the unit is directly above your head. Only reason i'd even consider switching units is if we were going to full-time living in an RV again. Which would be extremely hard in a RP171, lol.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
I wonder if some of these quality issues are confined to just some of the manufacturing facilities and/or the personnel at same? Our pod had no issues that we've discovered. Just FYI, it was manufactured on the west coast.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
dmatland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:49pm
Hello there! We picked up our R-Pod 171 about two week sago just as you did. This was our second travel trailer. Our first, a Riverside Retro, had electrical, equipment and construction issues. The chassis ground snapped connection snapped off and the battery couldn't charge. The microwave oven was a lemon. The floor rotted out in two years. Bye bye, Riverside.

Our R-Pod dealer was adamant that we delay removing the R-Pod and suggested we stay on their lot overnight for the techs to prep the vehicle. Probably for this reason we discovered no similar defects, Albeit our bathroom sink drain was loose and poured all over the floor and clamps on the sway bars had moved during our first trip.  

As far as your concerns with the hidden features of the RV:  Spouse is a former electronics tech and fine woodworker craftsman himself. He went through the RV with a circuit tester and voltmeter, unscrewing the access panels and testing the wiring. He was very pleased with the quality of the electrical connections and had no complaints about the construction.  

Ditto, on the person who suggested you get a memory foam mattress pad. Before we went to collect our R-Pod (and go on a shake down cruise) we had a 2" memory foam pad ready to go on the bed. The RV queen is a little smaller than a standard queen but it is easy to trim off the excess with an electric carving knife or just sharp scissors.

DSM
crooked pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 7:32pm
congratulations on your 171 r-pod as Podzilla said everywhere we look something is crooked outlets, window valances, cabinet hardware, tv bracket and many more.But you know we love our little crooked pod and hope to have many years enjoying it.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by jato

Funny, the way we 'fixed' that was by not having it installled on our 177 and that was over 6 years ago. Since we boondock a lot, it hasn't been an issue . . . yet, but may be if we decide to camp south during the summer months.

We normally don't need air while we are in Wisconsin, but it got a workout this year in Nebraska and South Dakota.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:51pm
Funny, the way we 'fixed' that was by not having it installled on our 177 and that was over 6 years ago. Since we boondock a lot, it hasn't been an issue . . . yet, but may be if we decide to camp south during the summer months.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm
We were at a FROG (Forest River Owners Group) rally where there was an actual FR rep.  We were the only R-Pod there, and a lot of the bigger and big rigs had complaints about the noise of the Dometic A/Cs.  The Rep said (confidentially) that the only way to "fix" it was to install a Norcold A/C.  That sounds like $$$$ but I may try it is the A/C goes wonkers.

For what it is worth, the a/c/ is quieter outside than it is inside the camper.  Unless you are running it with a generator but that is a different issue.
Enjoy Life!!
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:03am
That at least makes me feel better. I actually looked at I think was a 176 right on display, and found some similar issues. For sure I saw the shower one right away.
podzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
congrats on the new pod.. And when I checked out my 178 where ever I looked something was crooked. Thats why I named it Crooked Pod LOL

2018 R-Pod 178 The(Crooked Pod)
2016Jjeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:15pm
I guess I put even more responsibility on the dealer to go over new RVs and fix the little problems.  Our pod was free of defects when we picked it up, but talking with the techs I learned few come to them that don't need some love. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>