R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWD and Sway Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD and Sway Bar
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm
There's a name for that slosh effect, I don't remember what it is, but I think the general opinion is it isn't something to worry about in a pod.  First of all, if the tank is half full, half the water is already on one side of the trailer so if all of the water ended up on the same side all at once, which is practically impossible, it would be 60 pounds.  If the tank was 2/3 full 10 gallons would already be on one side so again, in a only theoretical situation, there's only 10 gallons on the other side of the tank and it won't all fit on the other other side.

Then there's the fact that the tanks are almost at axle level.  If you had all this water slamming aroung on top of the pod, it would probably matter.  Not so much at axle level.

No proof here, but move 200 pounds up and inside the pod the the form of a person riding in the back.  I don't think you'd particularly notice if he was bouncing back and forth from one side of the pod to the other.  You might notice but I doubt you'd be worried about him causing a wreck.

If you're going to flip your trailer, I can see how this might be a tiny contributing factor, but I'd say you were most likely going to flip anyway.  That weight so low might even add to your stability.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

There's a name for that slosh effect, I don't remember what it is, but I think the general opinion is it isn't something to worry about in a pod.  First of all, if the tank is half full, half the water is already on one side of the trailer so if all of the water ended up on the same side all at once, which is practically impossible, it would be 60 pounds.  If the tank was 2/3 full 10 gallons would already be on one side so again, in a only theoretical situation, there's only 10 gallons on the other side of the tank and it won't all fit on the other other side.

Then there's the fact that the tanks are almost at axle level.  If you had all this water slamming aroung on top of the pod, it would probably matter.  Not so much at axle level.

No proof here, but move 200 pounds up and inside the pod the the form of a person riding in the back.  I don't think you'd particularly notice if he was bouncing back and forth from one side of the pod to the other.  You might notice but I doubt you'd be worried about him causing a wreck.

If you're going to flip your trailer, I can see how this might be a tiny contributing factor, but I'd say you were most likely going to flip anyway.  That weight so low might even add to your stability.

TT

+1
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:57am
The "Free Surface Effect". That is why tanks on ships and tanker trucks have baffles in the tanks. Simply says tanks should be full or empty to prevent effect.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:08am
The difference is ships roll and tanker trucks have a much higher CoG since the liquid is higher above the axles and there  is much more of it. In those, sloshing of liquid in the tanks is definitely a problem. The low, flat tanks in the R-Pod do not present the same problems as the large, round tanks in a tanker truck or the huge tanks on a ship.

I have towed our RP-179 now for several long trips which probably total between 15,000 and 20,000 miles since we bought it. I have almost always had water in the tanks, starting with a full fresh water tank and then as it has been used, varying proportions in fresh, gray, and black water tanks. I have not had any problem that could be attributed to "Free Surface Effect." Even our accident last December had nothing to do with liquid in tanks (no fresh water, minimal content in black and even less in gray water tank as we were traveling dry due to sub-freezing temperatures) and everything to do with ice and wind.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:54pm
Stephen,

I don't have an issue with the Free Surface effect either, that's because I have a 178, and don't travel with a full water tank. I keep minimal water in it for emergency potty stops.
Mike Carter
2015 178
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
I am similar to StephenH in that we almost always have a full tank with us unless we are going for a short weekend trip, then I only put 10 gallons in, plenty for a Friday to Sunday getaway.  In our 6 years plus of hauling our 177 over 25,000 miles we have never experienced any problems due to the Free Surface Effect, probably due to the fact, as StephenH correctly states, that the tanks on the pod are low in relation to the axle and their short/squat height.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 6:36pm
Yep, another non 178 owner, BTW I don't think the Free Surface effect is pertinent, that is what it called which answers TARS post. Which was my intent.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123