R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoose window valance and sagging bed support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose window valance and sagging bed support
    Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:11pm
2014 Rpod 171
When we got back from our latest trip, we were surprised to find the door side window valance had come away from the wall on the front wall end!  It was just hanging there by the two screws on the door end.  When I looked at it, the screws had pulled out of the side wall.  But what was even more surprising was that they did not seem to be screwed through.... anything except the valence fabric!  They were just flopping around loose.  The head of one of them was poking through the fabric but the head of the second one was buried.  Neither seemed to be passing through anything except the fabric itself.  

Does anyone know how the window valences are supposed to be secured to the wall?  Looks like magic to me ;)  

As a temporary fix, I used an "L" bracket to secure the front facing end of the valence to the side wall but I am stumped how the factory actually was supposed to secure them to the wall as there is no obvious structure under the fabric covering (which seemed to have been stapled in place after the valence was somehow attached to the wall).  

And on a similar note, the wood panel under the mattress was sagging where it lays next to the water pump compartment.  Close inspection revealed that the edge along the water pump compartment was screwed to and supported by.... nothing at all.  There was a screw through the panel that seemed to have been intended to screw into something, but there was no structure under it and the end of the screw was just hanging in mid air in the under-bed storage compartment with the entire edge of the wood panel unsupported and sagging.  I'm guessing there was supposed to be a wood strip on both the water pump AND the storage compartment sides of the water pump divider wall.  I screwed a 2X4 to the storage bin side of the water pump compartment and the panel now rests on that 2X4.  Problem solved.  Makes me wonder what other corners got cut when this trailer was made.  Don't get me wrong.... we love the 171.  But REALLY???????  C'mon Forest River.... you can do better than that.  

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply