R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUltrabreeze cover installation - Event Date: 06 Aug 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Ultrabreeze cover installation
    Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 2:44pm
Hi everyone,

Got a question about installing the Ultrabreeze vent cover. according to the paperwork I should have a Fantastic fan and this should fit. None of the installation videos I've looked at show the two posts on each side that my fan has. Do I need a different cover or will this one work?

Thanks, TomH
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 7:44pm
When we bought our RP-179, it had a Fantastic Fan. When we went to pick it up at the factory where it was repaired from our accident last December, it had the MaxxAir fan. I had a Fantastic Fan Ultrabreeze cover which I had removed before it went to the factory. I was in the same situation. The Ultrabreeze cover won't fit unless it is modified. The cover that fits is the MaxxAir Fanmate. It has slots for the posts in your picture.

What I did was take a Dremel tool and cut slots to allow the Ultrabreeze cover to slide over the posts. I then bought clips to lock it in place. I was afraid the wind would rip it off as we went down the road. However, it has stayed on through our most recent trip of over 3,000 miles with no problem. When it finally does break, I will get the MaxxAir Fanmate cover.

By the way, check the sealant at the corner at the bottom left. It looks like there might be a crack there that might allow water through. If so, clean it with denatured alcohol and add more Dicor self-leveling lap sealant to fill the crack. It might just be the angle, but it would be good to check.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
tabrods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:02pm
Thanks Stephan,

I thought it something like that. FR seems to have a habit of randomly switching components with no rhyme or reason. I appreciate the help.

Spotted that corner and it's on my short list of things to do...

Tom
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:15am
Hello Tom,

You're welcome. There is a rhyme or reason to FR switching components. The MaxxAir vent is an improvement over the Fantastic Fan. For one thing, it has the ability to lock the lid in position so that one can leave it open while going down the road and it will stay in that position. The Fantastic Fan lid would vibrate and end up closed. The MaxxAir fan is also 4 speed instead of 3 speed. The final point is that it is extremely simple to add a cover. Just place it over the posts and insert the clips. That means no more drilling holes or installing mounting brackets. The other reason might be that they were able to get a better price per unit with the MaxxAir this time around.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by StephenH

When we bought our RP-179, it had a Fantastic Fan. When we went to pick it up at the factory where it was repaired from our accident last December, it had the MaxxAir fan. I had a Fantastic Fan Ultrabreeze cover which I had removed before it went to the factory. I was in the same situation. The Ultrabreeze cover won't fit unless it is modified. The cover that fits is the MaxxAir Fanmate. It has slots for the posts in your picture.

What I did was take a Dremel tool and cut slots to allow the Ultrabreeze cover to slide over the posts. I then bought clips to lock it in place. I was afraid the wind would rip it off as we went down the road. However, it has stayed on through our most recent trip of over 3,000 miles with no problem. When it finally does break, I will get the MaxxAir Fanmate cover.

By the way, check the sealant at the corner at the bottom left. It looks like there might be a crack there that might allow water through. If so, clean it with denatured alcohol and add more Dicor self-leveling lap sealant to fill the crack. It might just be the angle, but it would be good to check.

The new camper has a clamped in FF, no screws. I bought a cover for an FF before I realized this. After thinking about it for a while and doing some math, I conclude that at 88mph, the wind pressure on the front of the cover is less then 20 pounds.

So.. I am going to clean the roof really well, and tape it in place with eternabond tape. No screws.

tabrods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply