Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhello and questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello and questions
    Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:48pm
I wish there was a definition of "off road".  My idea of off road us deep, soft sand, forest roads with mud filled ruts, or mountain roads that are only suitable for high clearance vehicles with 4WD and drivers with some experience in technical driving.  Aside from side and height clearance, these are places RPods aren't going.  Period.  I think some people think of "off road" as some place you might not want to take your Prius.  I agree, most Pods can go places you wouldn't take a Prius, slow and easy, and I don't think I'm being a 4WD elitist, but I think that almost by definition, if you can tow an RPod there, you shouldn't call it "off road".

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:11am
Originally posted by chiman

You are incorrect in saying the HRE is cosmetic. There are many features to one that are not available on a east coast pod.
I have a friend that takes his HRE 178 off road a lot and on some rough roads and has done so for years and his pod has not had any problems. I have taken my 180 on a few not so smooth off roads and no problems
My friend and myself go slow and don't do anything stupid.
I believe driving on highways with bumps taken too fast will cause more problems than careful off roading
I see far too many pods with poor use of WDH's bouncing down the road which is really hard on the trailer causing more problems than my careful off road use.
Chiman

Mud tires and plastic deck plate make it look tough but in reality it i consmeti no matter what you or your friend think.  It has far to little ground clearance and far to little strength to handle serious off road use.

Have a great life.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:10am
To each his own thoughts. We will just continue to take our HRE pods to the beautiful places that are tucked away not on groomed gravel roads. Of course we don't take them on a Rubican type trails, use judgment, but ours have been places off the beaten path and survived quite well.
My HRE has plenty of ground clearance and larger tires than the stock ones that it came with. There are other features that we like.
So, we will take keep taking our "cosmetic" pods to places it appears you don't take your pod. Me thinks you seem a tad jealous, but no need. You have your pod and take it where you want and enjoy it, we have ours and enjoy taking our "cosmetic" HRE pods where we want, so lighten up and have some 25 year old single malt around the campfire.
Cheers,
β›ΊοΈπŸ˜πŸ––

2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by chiman

To each his own thoughts. We will just continue to take our HRE pods to the beautiful places that are tucked away not on groomed gravel roads. Of course we don't take them on a Rubican type trails, use judgment, but ours have been places off the beaten path and survived quite well.
My HRE has plenty of ground clearance and larger tires than the stock ones that it came with. There are other features that we like.
So, we will take keep taking our "cosmetic" pods to places it appears you don't take your pod. Me thinks you seem a tad jealous, but no need. You have your pod and take it where you want and enjoy it, we have ours and enjoy taking our "cosmetic" HRE pods where we want, so lighten up and have some 25 year old single malt around the campfire.
Cheers,
β›ΊοΈπŸ˜πŸ––

As long as ypu are happy.  My bet is that you don't go anywhere I wouldn't go.  If you call that off roading so be it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:31am
Man I am not into who or what is best, so will end off with:
Interesting to note that most of the posts in this thread are folks in areas where the HRE is not available, yourself included.
If you're ever out to Oregon with your pod, you're welcome to follow us and come camp with us in some really great off the main path camp locations we go to.
Having said that, I think for pod purposes, "off the main path" is better description for this thread, than "off-roading" which has the wrong vibe.
As I said earlier, you are welcome to bring your pod and come camp with us "off the main path".
Cheers,
Chiman
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

My bet is that you don't go anywhere I wouldn't go.Β  If you call that off roading so be it.

I highly suspect you are correct. That the HRE is tougher looking may give owners more confidence to get off the pavement but the idea of calling it an off road trailer is just wrong. Even the HREs are too wide, too tall, too long, too heavy, and way too fragile to be called off road vehicles. Not to mention the simple hitch that doesn't articulate.

There are plenty of beautiful places you can take a pod beyond the end of the pavement but to call that "off roading" certainly stretches the meaning of the term.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:02pm
I've had my 177 HRE up some entry level 4x4 roads, rough two track ranch roads, and truly on no road at all.  I don't make a habit of that type of travel, but it will go places a lot of other camper trailers won't. 
The HRE's have more ground clearance, plus bigger tougher OR tires than the other eastern editions.  The main thing I had to watch was the low clearance of the tank drains.  If they'd have tucked them up higher it would be easier to avoid rocks etc..  I did shake loose some interior trim one trip.
However for serious "rough road" or off road travel, one of the link below would be the ticket.  Note that they are high, heavy, and wide.  And $$$!!!
 https://earthroamer.com/
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I wish there was a definition of "off road".  My idea of off road us deep, soft sand, forest roads with mud filled ruts, or mountain roads that are only suitable for high clearance vehicles with 4WD and drivers with some experience in technical driving.
Perhaps a classification system like white water rafting? OR-Class 1 through OR-Class 5. Where we're at right now is totally subjective.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
Chiman,
If you ever get to the Cody, Wy area and want to get some dirt, gravel, and rocks under your rpod tires and off pavement, pm me.  
It would be nice if you brought the 25 year single malt, but we could split that cost, since they do sell it here.   I prefer the smoky peaty kind. 
Now watch this morph into a single malt Scotch thread, which is one of the fun things about this site. Most folks are fun and polite and have great input.  Once in a while you have to take the bull by the horns.  Or "Take the bull by the tail and face the situation".  
A lot of this discussion is really about where one lives, how you grew up, your camping experiences, so yes I guess it could be called subjective, from an oblique yet objective point of view.  
It is not the same in Nashville or New England as it is in the Rocky Mountains and much of the west, which I reckon is why they make a high axle and a low model of Rpods.  The low ones simply would not work for me, they would drag just leaving my rural property where I live.  
Happy travels.   Steve
Copied from a quick dictionary web search:
Now we'll probably have to define "rTongueugh terrain".....  
off-road
ADVERB
offroad (adverb)
  1. away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.
ADJECTIVE
offroad (adjective)
  1. (of a vehicle or bicycle) designed for use over rough terrain
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:49am
Tars,
No trailer like the pod or such others are meant for really hard core "off-road" trails and I think I have tried to make that point and even changed the wording I used to "off the main path"  Despite having changed the wording and trying to be polite, I have to say that you and Keith-N-Dar seem to have some axe to grind with whether or not a HRE should ever see anything but pavement.  Perhaps you and him are from areas where an HRE pod is not available so both have not had a real chance to test them. 

codycountry thanks for chiming in on this tread and shows your experience with a HRE pod on "off the main or beaten path" use much like my friends and myself usage and experience.
Might some day take you up on offer to get some more dirt under my upgraded tires.  As to the single malt, I too prefer the peaty type such as Lacfulan (bad spelling") but no need to split the cost as I always carry an ample supply with me for such around the campfire usage, helps with the cigar use and telling of lies about adventures, fishing and so on.
Cheers,
Chiman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>