R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs anyone planning on going to Alaska?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is anyone planning on going to Alaska?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:41pm
So we are both retired and have a 179 HRE 2016-17.  We have thought about going to Alaska in it but would rather caravan with some other people.  We don't usually boondock as we use the microwave most of the time.  We were wondering if anyone else wanted to go  within the next couple of years.  We are just in the very initial planning stages.
Enjoy Life!!
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:55am
Hi, we are heading to AK this spring/summer (2018). We will be heading up in early May to attend a shorebirds festival in Homer (we are birders!). Then we will poke around through the summer! If you go in 2018, maybe we can meet up somewhere! We're just planning our itinerary now.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
itspossible View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:56pm
We may be heading to Alaska in 2019, I did a 5 week solo motorcycle trip there in 2015 but want to go back to share it with my wife and also stay a little drier...it rains a lot there and I tented. In Alaska you can camp anywhere you wish as very little of the land is private, that means many camping areas do not have services such as water and electricity. You may want to check ahead if you need electric to run your micro wave. Alaska is so different from the rest of the country and you'll love everything about it, the scenery, remoteness and the people.

Never far enough
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:47am
2019 could be the year.

We went to Alaska 20+ years ago on a land/cruise combination.  Saw wonderful scenery and stayed in hotels.  We are thinking of taking the R-pod on this trip and driving the Alcan.  I read a post on another forum by a person who was most unhappy with the roads and especially the Alcan.  I got the impression that they were in the middle of a repair cycle and were mostly under construction.  I think the topping they use on the roads lasts 2-3 years because of the frost heaves, etc.  If that is the case, I'd like to find out the cycle and plan on a time when we can miss most of the construction.  Or we might try the ferry and then go to Denali, etc. 

I know from previous experience in Newfoundland that none of the potholes are over a meter deep.Shocked  You jut have to slow down and be careful.
Enjoy Life!!
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:28am
We just got back from an Alaska trip, every winter the roads a get frost heaves and the crews work hard to repair them. Worse than the frost heaves are the detours to repair damaged culverts they are definitely a thrill a minute. 

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
 Post Reply Post Reply