R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead Dometic RM8501

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Dometic RM8501
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:06am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Well, 3 degrees is equal to 3 3/4 inches from side to side of the pod. So the door side can be 3 3/4 inches higher or lower than the hook up side. Incase you wern't sure. 
Oh, I am VERY sure.  I fly model helicopters and I have a digital pitch gauge so I measured the pod when it was attached to the TV on the driveway ;)  As it sat, it was around 2.2 degrees off level.  Since that is the most off level I have ever exposed it to with the refer running, hopefully I didn't do any damage at all. And obviously I didn't kill it.... the problem was a partially plugged burner.    

In my research, I found a company that makes an aftermarket boiler high temperature shutdown unit.  Costs about $180 and might be well worth it.  Shame on Dometic for not including that feature in the first place even as an option).  Yes, I'm still mad.  

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:01am
I got my pod back after two weeks with the dealer and they couldn't fix it.  Dometic said they could only test it if it was OUT of the pod, on a test bench.  So they did that and it worked fine inside.  Put it back in the Pod and it still wouldn't cool properly on LP.  I took it home and called Dometic and said I wanted a new refer.  They said it has a 2-year warranty and that the only the dealer could request a warranty replacement, so I took it back to the dealer and they are now trying to get a replacement.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by spydie

I got my pod back after two weeks with the dealer and they couldn't fix it.  Dometic said they could only test it if it was OUT of the pod, on a test bench.  So they did that and it worked fine inside.  Put it back in the Pod and it still wouldn't cool properly on LP.  I took it home and called Dometic and said I wanted a new refer.  They said it has a 2-year warranty and that the only the dealer could request a warranty replacement, so I took it back to the dealer and they are now trying to get a replacement.
Do you know if they compared the gas pressure on their bench to what it is at the refer in your trailer?  That would affect the size of the flame and could explain the lack of cooling in the RV.  

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 1:03pm
That's a good question Paul.  I ask them
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:52pm
In the mean time, it is not hard to clean the gas jet.  If the pressure is OK in the trailer, a clogged gas jet would produce your exact symptoms (assuming it cools OK on AC power).  If their bench test pressure is higher, it could overcome a clogged gas jet and produce adequate cooling.  It doesn't seem linear.... below a certain flame size, you get zero cooling even though there is a nice blue flame.  That was my issue earlier in this thread.  

Look at me.... two weeks ago I didn't know much of anything about how these things work.  Its amazing what a little head scratching and research can teach you ;)  Especially with an engineering background.  

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:55pm
They told me that when they had it on the bench they took the jet out and cleaned it in alcohol.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:15pm
OK, just got back from the RV dealer.  They've been working with Dometic for the last week (again) and Dometic now says it's a Forest River problem.  Forest River did not mount the Dometic correctly.  He is now working with Forest River (sent them 15 pictures) and waiting to hear from them.  We all know that FR isn't going to take ownership of the problem any more than Dometic will unless there's a class-action lawsuit that forces them to recall the R-pods and mount the Dometic differently.  So I'm pretty sure that after the dealer has it another week, they'll tell me it's my problem because nobody wants to fix it.  My options at that point are 1. only camp in colder weather so the refer works OK or 2. replace the Dometic with a real refrigerator like the Engel I built into my last RV or 3. trade it off for another brand that may or many not work better.

By the way, they pressure tested the LP both in the Rpod and on the bench to make sure it was OK in both settings.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by spydie

They told me that when they had it on the bench they took the jet out and cleaned it in alcohol.
Well, so much for my best shot ;)  If the jet is clean and the pressure is within spec, not sure what else it could be.  

Do we know for sure that simply swishing it in alcohol is sufficient?  When I cleaned mine it was alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner, which might have been more thorough.  

Mounted it incorrectly?  How is that even possible?  That said, when I was talking to Dometic, they raised the possibility it was not level in the trailer.  Again, not sure how THAT is possible either so I guess they are just taking pot shots.  

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:35pm
In my opinion, which isn't worth much, I think the absorption refrigerator is antiquated and needs to be abolished.  They've never been efficient in an RV if you travel in warm/hot weather.  They were developed for household use and I'm sure they are fine in that capacity, but even then they were replaced with more efficient compressor refrigerators.  So what did we do?  We took something that was replaced with something better for the household, and tried to put them into RVs where the OAT has a major affect on them.

I have heard from a lot of people on different forums about the lack of the Dometic working properly in the Rpod, and there's no correlation between which models it's in.  There's a small chance that Forest River needs to re-design the mounting area.  The only people that aren't complaining much are the ones that live in cooler climates than the HOT southwest and never travel to hot climates in the summer, so they don't really know how bad an absorption refrigerator is.  Other people just give up and carry an ice chest or, like me, a real compressor chest/freezer along for the campouts.  Of course the Rpods are built in Indiana and Washington... they don't know what hot weather is and have never researched it so they have no idea that their design, if improved, could solve the problem of the inefficient Dometic.  And they don't care.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:21pm
Just picked up my Rpod at the dealer.  Dometic says it's not mounted properly and it's all Forest Rivers fault.  It doesn't have enough space around it so it can breathe and cool properly (the insulation is packed way too tight and the sides of the Dometic get hot).  Dometic looked at 15 pictures the dealer sent them of the installation and they said there's no way it can cool properly in there, there's no space around it.  All the information has been sent by the dealer to Forest River to see what their reaction is.  Probably won't hear from them, but if we do, they won't take any blame with "we've been building them like that for years and nobody else has complained."  (yah, right!).  Buyer beware.  Anybody want to buy a real nice 2018 rpod 176?  Cheap!  NEVER USED FOR CAMPING.  LOL
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>