R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead Dometic RM8501

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Dometic RM8501
    Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by spydie

Tell me what a delta measurement is please
A "delta" measurement is the difference between two values.  Delta = value 1 minus value 2.  For example, put one thermocouple in free air outside the trailer and the other in the refrigerator.  The DIFFERENCE between the internal and external temperatures is the "delta" temperature.  

You will find some refrigerators (especially thermopile refrigerators like simple electric coolers) have a specified minimum delta temperature, which would be a measure of their ability to cool.  I think my Coleman electric cooler is spec'd at something like 30 or 40 degrees.... the inside will be 30-40 degrees cooler than the outside ambient.  

I'm sure our Dometics have a minimum delta spec but I doubt Dommetic will share it with us.  Much easier to claim proper operation when all specs are as vague as possible ;)  

Paul
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm
I'm guessing it's easier to specify a delta of 30-40 degrees with thermoelectric (thermopile) coolers because they are almost always surround by ambient air. 

An RV installation of the absorption fridge can vary wildly as well as environment surrounding fridge. In warm or hot weather, I will run the pod AC in my driveway to noticeably make a difference in fridge performance before loading (front side considerably cooler than back side).

My ideal arrangement would be a NovaKool compressor fridge only and a Dometic Portable setup as a chest freezer. More cold beer, more solid ice cream!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 6:50am
BTW, does anyone know what the brass thing is in the incoming propane line in the refer compartment just ahead of the gas valve?  It is a solid brass block with a hex screw cap on the side.  Is it a regulator?  If so, does it require maintenance?  Because it is not officially part of the refer, it is not in the service manual.  Just curious.  

Paul
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:08am
Is it a port to check the gas pressure?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:24pm
Good guess.... better than any of my guesses ;)  Not sure though.  

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:36pm
Still reading the latest service manual and their new design is both interesting and a welcome change:

In recent years Dometic has engineered a new type of cooling unit that utilizes an improved siphon pump tube design which drastically reduces the possibility of permanent damage to the coils if operated in an out-of-level condition, or too much heat is generated at the boiler section. As we can see from this drawing, the siphon pump tube is enclosed in the design and is surrounded by a weak ammonia solution, which will protect the pump tube from abnor- mally over-heating. This type of unit; however, does not eliminate the need for proper leveling. The unit still requires gravitational flow to provide the proper cooling process, and if leveling is outside the necessary limits, cooling will dramatically slow down or stop completely. The cooling coils are not normally damaged in this fashion and once proper leveling is main- tained, the cooling process will resume.

Spirit or bubble levels are no longer being supplied with the new style refrigerators as the RV or vehicle only needs to be leveled so it is comfortable to live in, with no noticeable sloping of the floor or walls. For diagnosis, the new style cooling units that incorporate the protection boiler system, can be differentiated from the older style coils by the shape and design of the outer boiler box cover on the rear of the cooling unit. These units will incorporate a circular metal cover,

while the older style utilizes a square shaped enclosure. We will discuss diagnosis and troubleshooting of these units in more detail later in the program.

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm
Is there an online source for that service manual?  It is definitely NOT what I have.... mine claims to be an RM8xxx service manual, but I didn't see anything about a new cooling unit design.  And yes, ours is round, not square.  

Ya know, this just makes me even more angry!  After all the trauma last week while camping with our dead refrigerator and on the phone with Dometic, they still told me the max tilt before PERMANENT damage was 3 degrees!  And I told them what model and year my fridge was!  Their position was that if I had operated our three year old RM8501L more than 3 degrees off level, I had destroyed the cooling unit and they would do nothing for me.  They also swore up and down this information was in the manual.  When I pointed out that in fact it WAS NOT, they backed down from that claim but still said it was my fault for operating off level.  It was a very carefully worded statement that I was told was "what they were supposed to tell" people like me.  I could not even get a word in edgewise.  

Of course, as it turned out (earlier in this thread) I measured our driveway and had NOT operated more than 3 degrees off level and it turned out the problem was NOT the cooling unit.  But the massive mis-information and lack of information coming out of Dometic boggles my mind.  

Sorry... even though we had a happy ending when we got home and could carefully troubleshoot on shore power, I am still reeling from the experience after spending our camping time preparing for a >$1000 expenditure to fix the refer.  Dometic should be ASHAMED of themselves for putting us though that.  

Paul
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:09pm
Well, 3 degrees is equal to 3 3/4 inches from side to side of the pod. So the door side can be 3 3/4 inches higher or lower than the hook up side. Incase you wern't sure. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by pgoelz

Is there an online source for that service manual?  It is definitely NOT what I have.... mine claims to be an RM8xxx service manual, but I didn't see anything about a new cooling unit design.  And yes, ours is round, not square.  

Ya know, this just makes me even more angry!  After all the trauma last week while camping with our dead refrigerator and on the phone with Dometic, they still told me the max tilt before PERMANENT damage was 3 degrees!  And I told them what model and year my fridge was!  Their position was that if I had operated our three year old RM8501L more than 3 degrees off level, I had destroyed the cooling unit and they would do nothing for me.  They also swore up and down this information was in the manual.  When I pointed out that in fact it WAS NOT, they backed down from that claim but still said it was my fault for operating off level.  It was a very carefully worded statement that I was told was "what they were supposed to tell" people like me.  I could not even get a word in edgewise.  

Of course, as it turned out (earlier in this thread) I measured our driveway and had NOT operated more than 3 degrees off level and it turned out the problem was NOT the cooling unit.  But the massive mis-information and lack of information coming out of Dometic boggles my mind.  

Sorry... even though we had a happy ending when we got home and could carefully troubleshoot on shore power, I am still reeling from the experience after spending our camping time preparing for a >$1000 expenditure to fix the refer.  Dometic should be ASHAMED of themselves for putting us though that.  

Paul

Paul, I posted this yesterday.  It's the service manual Dometic and my RV service company and I use:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/32i0fssts7yrw61/dometic-service-manual%20copy.pdf?dl=0
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
sal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 1:21am
I never really use mine. My wife would like some drawers. I just may take out my refrigerator,151, and build something there. For sure if it breaks.
Sal
Love Camping
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>