R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead Dometic RM8501

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Dometic RM8501
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:07am
I think I'm having the same problem with our three year old RM 8501 cooling on gas. It runs on AC and DC just fine. Is yours running on AC and DC?  I'm trying to nail down the problem and If I do I'll let you know.  I also have a good blue flame and the tower is really heating up but it just won't cool down. 
Good Luck and keep posting
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by StephenH

I'm looking at something like this if I can't get adequate performance out of our RV refrigerator. It might mean that we could not dry camp for long periods but this one looks like it would not be too hard on the batteries and yet offer superior performance to the absorption refrigerators.

Vitrifrigo 4.2 Cu. Ft. AC/DC Marine Refrigerator.

That's not too bad of current consumption.  I replaced my Dometic with an Engel (swing-compressor, like the Danfoss compressors) in my motorhome 4 years ago and it draws (rated) 1-3 amps per hour (averages a little over 1 amp in real life).  I added a couple extra batteries and could run it for days with no affect.  I recently took a 3 night trip in my truck to pick up my Rpod and put an Engel Chest freezer/refrigerator in the back seat and took along an extra AGM sealed battery to run it at night (because my truck 12 volt plug-in is dead after you turn the key off) and after 3 nights on that battery, when I got home it still measured 12.4 volts.  I'll be adding the second battery to my Rpod and carrying the Engel with me for things that I want colder than the Dometic can handle (and I've already thought about replacing the brand new Dometic with another built-in Engel).
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:33am
I'm looking at something like this if I can't get adequate performance out of our RV refrigerator. It might mean that we could not dry camp for long periods but this one looks like it would not be too hard on the batteries and yet offer superior performance to the absorption refrigerators.

Vitrifrigo 4.2 Cu. Ft. AC/DC Marine Refrigerator.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:12am
Ours is three years old and has the round boiler. Sadly, we have tried many times.... turning g it off and letting it sit did not help at all. The inside fins get cool enough to condense water but that's about all.

According to Dometic, three degrees front to back and six degrees side to side is the limit. However, the fact that crucial information is not in the manual seems to me to be unbelievably negligent at best and intentionally fraudulent at worst. Forest River is supposedly looking into remedies with Dometic but I have not heard back yet.   Not holding my breath either based on my last conversation with Dometic.

Paul
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:55pm
According to my new 2018 Dometic manual, the new refers have a "round" boiler and the old ones had a square boiler.  The old ones, according to Dometic service manual (available online) would eventually plug up (a cumulative affect) and usually required replacement (although I've heard of RV maintenance guys taking the refrigerator out, rolling it over and over on the ground, re-installing it, and it was unplugged).  The new round boiler supposedly doesn't plug permanently but if it stops cooling, just re-level your rig and it will start again.  Some people say you have to turn it off and let it cool down first, though.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Jeez furpod, now I got figure how much of a bubble is 3 degrees! Wink

fred

I always figured if I can walk without holding on, and shower without leaning on a wall.. "close enough"..

But.. for 20 years, I RV'd on a tank.. so...
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:31am
Good luck getting a new part. We waited three MONTHS and then bought a new Norcold fridge. Dometic's service was pathetic.
2015 R-Pod 179
2016 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

"It's a good thing we are going slowly because we might be going in the wrong direction." Ashliegh Brilliant
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:38pm
Jeez furpod, now I got figure how much of a bubble is 3 degrees! Wink

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:36pm
In the vintage world, many a dead refer has been restored to life with a light tapping of the lines. If it's not a leak, the "coolant" is still in there. Tapping, or even pulling the fridge and inverting it, has, again, saved many vintage fridges, including ours in the 'stream.

and, the general consensus seems to be 3 degrees off level is the max it will still function..
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:35pm
That should have read "whacks". Again I'm using Text to Voice while we're in the trailer camping.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>