R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechnology Upgrades for the Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technology Upgrades for the Rpod
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

I tried to use the hotspot with an Amazon firestick but was burning through my data plan too fast, and I didn't see any way to watch in lesser quality/slower usage. 

Can't you use Stream Saver with your hotspot? => http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_stream_saver.html

Yeah, it will decrease video quality, but save you lots of data.

Nerd alert!!

As a proof of concept I was streaming local network TV and cable channels to my laptop last week. The local TV network and cable channel lineup was New York market. I was in Düsseldorf, Germany. Normally, this would be geo-blocked.

Using PIA VPN (Private Internet Access) and Manual Geolocation extension for Chrome I appeared to the streaming service (Google Youtube TV) to be back in the states. It streamed flawlessly. Hard part was getting used to the 6 hour time difference for programming.

*If* you have the bandwidth *and* you want your TV lineup (especially sports) when traveling, Google Youtube TV is a viable option if it is available in your market. It's all about bandwidth...

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
podenvy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 10:51am
This is how you stream to your devices while in the pod without using any data plan:

1. Get a travel router that allows you to attach and recognizes a USB portable 1TB+ hard drive as a storage device (we use a HooToo Tripmate Elite and corresponding apps). There are many different options for this, and the key is to look for a travel router that has wifi storage apps in either the iOS app store and/or Google app store. The goal is to create a wifi network in the pod, not tether or hotspot from phones.

2. Copy all your movies onto the 1TB+ hard drive. Attach it to the travel router.

3. Have all the devices join the travel router's wifi network. Use the router's storage/fie browser app on devices to access the movies.

Link to HooToo Tripmate Elite: http://a.co/68QJRxP
2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12