R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechnology Upgrades for the Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technology Upgrades for the Rpod
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 3:57pm
I am interested in what others have done upgrading any technology in their Rpods. I put a video together for my top 5 tech helps. If you have any special technology you use, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

John
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the well done video John.  I am sure many will benefit from your presentation.  As for us we don't do much more in our 177 except eat and sleep.  Usually out biking or hiking, even on rainy days we will hang out under the R-Dome.  We may consider getting an A/C for our 177 in a couple years if we start to do some serious camping in the summer months down south.  Right now, in Michigan A/C is something we don't really need and most of our serious camping takes place in spring or fall in the mountains, so the furnace gets a heavy duty workout.  Has been for 6 years, still runs like a charm.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:51pm
That's good to hear. You also show Michigan up well and I totally agree that no real need to run the A/C much even in the summer up here, especially up where you are! And of course, it's hard to beat our state parks for sure. I have a habit of watching a show before I hit the hay at night, so the iPad and some stored video content works well for anywhere. The gooseneck tech arm to hold my phone is also nice for having a clock to see at night. 

All the best from a fellow Michigander! 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:52pm
A couple weeks ago we camped "down south" at Lakeport S.P. just north of Port Huron.  It is a great park, BUT, for those of us who have verizon, no coverage.  I was told that Verizon covers Port Huron but where the park is located a local outfit has a monopoly on the internet.  Only other options would be satellite like Hughes Net or something similar.  So we went cold turkey w/o coverage for a couple days.  Living like the way we did in the 80's and before.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 7:28am
A travel router turns our R-Pod into a wifi streaming hotspot. Handy when you have no signal and inclement weather keeping you inside the pod, plus helps extend a campground wifi to multiple devices when you're limited to one device login.
2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 12:22pm
We have an Apple TV connected to the HDMI input of a 24" Samsung LED TV. The network on the Apple TV is configured to connect to my phone's mobile hotspot when I turn it on. We have AT&T Wireless and DirecTV Now, which allows us to watch streaming TV without using our allotted data.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 6:54pm
Great ideas. Podenvy, do you mind listing the make and model of the travel router you are using? TheBum, how do you limit your bandwidth usage with the AT&T hotspot? I have the same that I have used for work (see my Top 5 Helps when Working from the RPod video on my Youtube channel). I tried to use the hotspot with an Amazon firestick but was burning through my data plan too fast, and I didn't see any way to watch in lesser quality/slower usage. 
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
I just installed a WiFi extender to boost weak campground signals.  Only tested at home from 100' away from inside wireless router, but it reproduces the signal at 100% speed.  
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:39pm
Gear Ties!! ==> http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp

And I love Anderson connectors, water transfer pump and second bathroom for Henry, the camping cat!

Nice job on your videos, John.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

TheBum, how do you limit your bandwidth usage with the AT&T hotspot? I have the same that I have used for work (see my Top 5 Helps when Working from the RPod video on my Youtube channel). I tried to use the hotspot with an Amazon firestick but was burning through my data plan too fast, and I didn't see any way to watch in lesser quality/slower usage. 

As I said, I'm an AT&T subscriber and use DirecTV Now. With that combination, I don't burn through *any* of my data because of the way AT&T has it set up. AT&T owns DirecTV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>