R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaking RPOD TV work off of 12 volt power - Event Date: 27 Jul 2017 - 26 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Making RPOD TV work off of 12 volt power
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:11pm
Finally got my RPOD 180 TV to work off of 12 volts for under $20. I'm posting a 12 minute youtube video sometime today explaining how easy it was to convert my 120 volt AC TV to 12 volts DC.  I'm sure there are many of you who would like to watch TV while boon docking and you have no shore power and no (noisy) generator. The process is so easy and takes 10 minutes or less. First go to Wally world and head to the auto accessory area. Pick up an $8, 12 volt cigarette lighter/USB plug. No need to buy an inline wire fuse because the unit self resets if there is a short. Now remove 4 screws from your Jensen radio and pull the unit from the cabinet. Look for the red (positive) wire and the black (negative) wire that come off the radio. The wires are marked positive and negative with a small tag. Remove the plastic nut caps and add a 12 inch piece of red and black wire about 16 gauge because the cigarette lighter come with only 6 inches of wire. The object here is to lengthen the plug. You'll have to drill a small hole into the side of your cabinet so you can run the 2 wires into the back of the cabinet. Use 4 wire nuts to connect both ends. Place the radio back into the wall and tighten the 4 screws. Now mount your 12 volt cigarette lighter/USB to the side of your cabinet with 2 wood screws. The TV operates with 17 watts so you'll need to pick up an inverter while your at Wally world (auto accessory area). Make sure you get the 80 watt inverter (cost $12). This plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a 120 outlet on the other end. Plug your TV into the inverter's AC outlet and your all set. Easy Cheesy. PS. The 2 USB outlets allow you to charge your cell phones, charge your computer or IPAD. Hope this makes sense, if not; send me a note. This is the youtube link for the video.  https://youtu.be/VArI8sVw-xU

Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:29am
Thank you!!!!!
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 10:48am
Your welcome.
YODT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:11am
dumb question but do you need to disconnect the battery before you wire into the Jensen?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by YODT

dumb question but do you need to disconnect the battery before you wire into the Jensen?

You could just pull the fuse for the Jensen. That way, you still have lights to use to see while you are doing this mod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply