R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight distribution/anti sway - Event Date: 23 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Johncmarshjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Weight distribution/anti sway
    Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 4:02pm
I am towing a 2016 179 with a 2016 Volvo XC-90.  Are there recommendations on which weight distribution and anti sway bars I should install?
ALICE
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Johncmarshjr

I am towing a 2016 179 with a 2016 Volvo XC-90.  Are there recommendations on which weight distribution and anti sway bars I should install?

For simplicity, you should look at a system that combines WD and anti-sway. I have been using the Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control hitch. It has served me well except for once when ice and wind were too much for it to correct. I doubt other systems in the price range would have done any better in that situation. It works well, especially if one uses a hitch tightener to stop the hitch shank from clunking around in the receiver.

Another option is the Fastway E2 hitch which uses 2 point sway control. It is similar to the Equal-i-zer as both are made by Progress Industries. It is less expensive, but probably not quite as good on sway control.

A third option is the Andersen No-Sway hitch. Unlike the bars of the above two hitches, the Andersen uses chains and urethane (I think) "springs" to accomplish the weight distribution. The sway control is accomplished by the hitch ball which is locked in a sheath or friction material so that it resists turning. It is the lightest weight of the three systems I have mentioned.

There are others also which you can find by searching. Some of them, like the Jim Hensley ProPride hitch cost $2445.00 (plus $195 shipping). Admittedly, it is probably the best hitch available, but it is way too much.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Richand Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
You are definitely doing the right thing getting WDH and antisway.  You can get either the cheaper Fastway E2  600 lb model which has two point sway control, or the more expensive Equalizer or Blue Ox which have four point.  Our dealer who sells all three said for the RPOD the Fastway is plenty so we bought it and it is great going over steep hills and windy highways
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Johncmarshjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Johncmarshjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:01pm
Very helpful and thank you.  Is there a detriment to going a bit larger, i.e. The Fastway 800 instead of the 600 for the Rpod 179?
ALICE
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:08pm
I have the e2. Not sure wher the low numbers are coming from unless it is the model. Mine in 10,000 pound rated pulled by 2017 Jeep Unlimited. I think it cost me about $360. Easy to hook up. Not kidding when I say the Jeep's control is amazing as far as handling. Pod tracks beautifully. Biggest problem is HP. But sway and load have nothing to do with that.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
The one thing to note is that the Equalizer can be pretty noisy. I went from using the Equailizer on my 2016 Rpod 171 for the entire season (2,200 miles) to a Blue Ox now with my new 179 (about 1,300 miles so far). The Blue Ox is much easier to use in my opinion and much less noisy. I have the 500lb bars meaning it will take up to 500lbs tongue weight and 5,000lbs trailer weight. The 179 is just about 300lbs tongue weight and 3,000lbs trailer weight. I have had great safe towing with both WDH's, but would recommend the Blue Ox for easier use (attach/detach) and quieter operation. It is likely more expensive, but I do not know. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
Get the trailer tongue weight measured. Preferably when loaded, full propane, battery(ies), full fresh water, all cargo, all you expect to bring with you on your trips.

Weigh it. Weigh it. Weigh it.

You cannot select your WD tension bars until you weight it, otherwise you're guessing. WD bars too strong and it will be very rigid and possibly unsafe, too soft and it won't help with weight distribution.

Alternately, the Anderson has NO tension bars, and uses a different torsion method for distributing weight. It worked very well for my R-Pod 177, it controlled the up-down porpoising effect very well, and my Pod was level after adjustment. Only slight sag on my tow vehicle. Never had any indication of sway.

It is adjustable for trailers up to (supposedly) 14,000 pounds. I know from experience it doesn't work well at 5000+ pounds. I tried it. And I had to buy a different brand for a new bigger trailer. 

I purchased a Blue Ox (1000 pound bars) for my new trailer (550-800 pound estimated weight range for tongue), but haven't had the chance to use the trailer on a camping trip yet. Can't wait for the second week of August!! The Blue Ox was $615. The Andersen was $500.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:22pm
ToolMan you are absolutely correct about weighing tongue weight. Bought a scale. Found out I was loading 400 pound tongue weight but less than the 3,500 I can tote. Rearranged load in the Pod and got it down to 300. Readjusted again and got it up to 330.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by rawest50

ToolMan you are absolutely correct about weighing tongue weight. Bought a scale. Found out I was loading 400 pound tongue weight but less than the 3,500 I can tote. Rearranged load in the Pod and got it down to 300. Readjusted again and got it up to 330.

As long as you don't have sway or handling problems, it was the right thing to do.

Most people (myself included) have been trained to believe that only a 10-15% tongue weight is safe and less is not safe and unacceptable. This simply is NOT true of ALL trailers and tow vehicle combinations.. ALL travel trailers built in Europe have about 8% tongue weight recommendations.  They tow at a LOWER regulated speed limit when a travel trailer is in tow. They are not allowed to exceed those limits. The trailers are also built lighter and have their mass central near the axle(s), no heavy kitchens and baths options near the ends of the trailers. High speeds EQUALS sway.

In the US, people expect that they should be able to tow their trailer at the posted speed limits, whether it's 55 or 80 mph. This is a problem for trailer manufacturers who make all these heavy optioned out trailers, the only way to keep it safer at high speeds is either to centralize the mass or increase tongue weights. This means bigger and bigger tow vehicles for heavy trailers. It means weight distribution and sway control HAD to be invented, or trailers would still be small light canned hams.

I think it's safe to expect that a tow vehicle can pull 1.5 times it's own weight. 8% or more tongue weight WITH sway control. My new toy hauler will range from 9% (lightly loaded) to almost 11%(fully loaded to gross carrying capacity). It just fits within the maximum capacity  of my SUV. My SUV weighs 5000 pounds. Of course testing is key. 

When you have your rig setup as expected for towing, always give it a test wiggle at highway speed (starting at 50 mph) to see how it behaves. Do it safely when no one else is near you. Watch for the trailer to straighten out nearly immediately when you center the tow vehicle again. I did this many times with my 177 when I first owned it, and I will again with the new trailer in the next couple of weeks. I want to know exactly how it will behave. Then there's crosswinds, semis, road surfaces, these things will all come in time but it's best to be able to know it's already stable when things are right.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Johncmarshjr

Very helpful and thank you.  Is there a detriment to going a bit larger, i.e. The Fastway 800 instead of the 600 for the Rpod 179?
The 800 would be too stiff for an RP-179. The 600 is a little bit of overkill, but not too much. We use the 600 with our RP-179.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>