R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight distribution/anti sway - Event Date: 23 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Weight distribution/anti sway
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:10pm
Nothing wrong with unibody construction. All vehicles regardless of construction are engineered to a set of specifications. It's not like the design engineers go around over engineering and adding unneeded material cost and weight just because they want to. They would be looking for a new job.

Unibodies have significant advantages. They are lighter to meet a given load, have less body flex, and more interior space. But if you do bend a unibody vehicle's frame it's more difficult to fix than if you bend a body on frame. Either way, no one wants a bent frame so just stay within specs to avoid damaging the vehicle and you will be fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:36pm
I see a lot of unibody vehicles pulling trailers. Just yesterday I saw a Highlander pulling a small Airstream Bambi down I25 near Las Cruces. I've always heard a frame on body tow vehicle is best but it seems unibody vehicles do just as well. A friend pulls a Retro with her Highlander with no issues.

I use a Fastway E2 600lb WDH on the Frontier. I've pulled in blazing sun, wind, rain, snow, hail (sometimes all in the same day) with no issues for the past 5 years. 

Gino
2017 Rpod 179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 9:28am
In Europe and elsewhere there are different standards for rating tow capacity. So theoretically identical vehicles can have different ratings in different jurisdictions.

This is very common in all kinds of products. As an engineer responsible for global product certifications I saw this all the time.

There are many reasons for this, some purely a matter of how the standards evolved, some based on real differences in usage. We for example travel longer distances at higher speeds, have higher mountains, and have more extreme weather than in most other countries. In many countries there is also specific training required for towing.

Regardless, we and the product manufacturers that sell here have to abide by our standards, so what a similar vehicle is rated for or what the theoretically identical vehicle is rated for elsewhere is not material. It is illegal to overload your tow vehicle, and that includes not only trailer and tongue weight but also gross combined vehicle weight and axle weights. If you get stopped or are involved in a crash and are found to be exceeding your 3500 lb tow rating you will be the one cited. Don't do it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 8:09pm
I think the question was directed at my 2010 Mazda CX-9? Yes it is a unibody, but there is a beefy boxed sub-frame around the rear axle that the hitch attaches to. The vehicle has the same chassis, suspension and drive train as the Ford Flex. Interesting that Ford rates the flex at 4500 lbs with a class 3 hitch, brake controller and transmission cooler which I have. The CX9 tow rating is 3500 lbs in the US but  the identical model in the rest of the world is 4500lbs. I think Ford forced Mazda to derate the CX9 in the US to help out sales of the Flex. Probably more info than you wanted to know. I can’t help it - I am an engineer. 😉

My tongue weight with WDH included is right at 425 lbs. 
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:06am
An air suspension is not at all the equivalent of a wdh.

All an adjustable suspension does is bring the ride height of the tow vehicle rear axle up. It does nothing to place weight back on the front axle, which goes down, not up, when you attach a trailer.

Having sufficient weight on the front axle is critical to safety and h
proper handling since the front axle does the steering and had the best brakes. So by all means get a wdh if you have a relatively light yuw vehicle for the trailer youre hauling around.

Of course, regardless of whether you have a unibody or body on frame vehicle, do not exceed
your tow vehicle, trailer, and combined vehicle specs, and don't use a wdh if the vehicle manufacturer disallows it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:22pm
I took the wise advice from some on this forum and found 11% or more of the total trailer weight on the tongue works great under all sorts of weather/wind conditions.  Having a 177 for 11 years now we have only used the anti-sway bar and it has worked well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:18pm
Isn't that a uni-body SUV?  If it is, you may not be able to buy a hitch that can accommodate a weight distributing hitch.  With your self-adjusting air suspension, you likely don't need it, either.  I use and recommend a friction sway damper as suspenders.  But, if you get your tongue weight %-age right, you won't need that either. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:22pm
I did a search for WDH failures and all I could find is wear at the spring bar sockets or a blue ox spring bar weld failure. And these are on trailers weighing over 7000 lbs with 1000 lb spring bars. I couldn’t find any where the spring bar failed. We all read about R-pod axles and frames being bent. Sizing the spring bars to the hitch weight (or next size up) seems best.  I started with 1000 lb spring bars and switched to 600 lb and it smoothed out my ride. The 1000 lbs bars made for a jarring ride.

Anyone able to point to a 400-600 lb spring bar failure on a 400-600 lb tongue weight application?
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 2:53pm
There is no reason to expect damage from stiffer wdh bars. Regardless of what bars you have you will be setting up the wdh to bring the weight on the front axle back to where it was before the trailer was attached. On my Highlander with the 179 at 500 lbs tongue weight that was a tension of about 750 lbs. You would have the same tension on a lighter wdh to achieve the same result. That's just the way the math works out.

So the problem with too low a rating is that the bars might fail in bending when hitting a swale if they don't have enough reserve capacity beyond what is needed to load the front axle. The problem with heavier bars is that the ride might get stiffer than you prefer. I ran 1000 lb bars on my rig and the ride was fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 11:40am
Tongue weight 330, spring bars 400 seems to work fine the last five years.
Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>