R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAndersen hitch and towing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andersen hitch and towing question
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:35am
We have a 2017.5 177 and use an Andersen hitch.  The trailer is swaying quite a bit at highway speeds in spite of the hitch being installed and adjusted correctly.

I'm assuming it's because the water tank is full and located behind the axle so the tongue weight is reduced?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:46am
In my former 171, and in my new 179, the water tank is in front of the axle and Ive towed with a full tank with no problem with my Tundra. If your water tank is behind the axle I would probably tow with an empty water tank. Likely when the hitch was installed, it was balanced when the tanks were empty. I used an Equalizer hitch on the 171 and a Blue Ox now. Both worked fine, but I prefer the Blue Ox and recommend it if you look to upgrade at some point.
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:05am
If the hitch is "installed and adjusted correctly" and you have sway, it's a loading issue. 
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm
 It could either be loading (light tongue weight) , or low tire pressures (check trailer AND tow vehicle), Or it could be suspension problems (again, trailer or tow vehicle).

The Andersen is a very good WD hitch for small camper with lower tongue weights.  It doesn't distribute much on high tongue weight trailers even though it's rated at 1400 pound max tongue weight capacity. The built in sway control is friction from the cone material that the ball assembly is pressed into. It relies on the downward force of the tongue weight to increase it's resistance to sway, so it is basically a passive sway system like a friction type bar.

Remember that the tow vehicle ball should start 1 to 1-1/2 inch HIGHER than the leveled coupler height before hooking up. When you install the trailer, it should sag the rear of the tow vehicle, and the Andersen Urethane bumper springs should be adjusted to get the trailer level. I like the Andersen it is dead simple and works well on the R-Pod. I sold my original one with the R-Pod last Spring. 

My new toy hauler... Different story with the Andersen. I purchased another Andersen with a different ball and bracket system for the new trailer frame and coupler.  But it did not distribute much weight to the front axle of my tow vehicle. When the spring nuts were cranked up a LOT, I experienced a serious problem. 

When using the trailer jack to raise both the tow vehicle and trailer coupler to install the triangle plate, the entire ball assembly pulled up about an eighth of an inch, with a loud clank!! resulting in misalignment of the triangle plate holes!! It was impossible to install the triangle plate. WTF moment when this happened a few times at the weigh station truck stop. I had to unscrew the tension nuts for more chain, then install the tension rods and and then reinstall the nuts to put it on at that point. Bad bad bad. That's why I moved on to Blue Ox.  Andersen still has not responded to my email and pictures showing the issues with assistance. 

So I recently bought a Blue Ox BXW1006 system for my new trailer. Haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping all the glowing reviews are correct about it's ability to prevent sway and distribute weight.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:29am
ToolmanJohn, thanks for the details, they help.

PilotPodder, there's just no way I'm going to head out on a trip with an empty water tank.  We don't go to campgrounds with water hookups, we boondock.  If I can't tow with a full water tank then I've bought the wrong travel trailer.

Furpod, if it's a loading issue, I'm not sure what to do.  Load everything on the dinette for towing?

thanks all.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply