R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCooked Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooked Battery
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:11am
Never really experienced a "cooked battery" until today.  

I have a 2016 RPod 180 with a Interstate (Canatron) Size 27 12 Volt acid battery.  I must admit the first year I never really paid much attention to it but we only went out camping about 4 weekends, (we mostly boondock).  This battery actually came with a RPod 171 but we traded it in for a 2016 1/2 RPod 180 and just kept the battery as it was bigger than the stock 24 size battery from the dealer.

This year been out about 30 days so far and had no problems with the battery until now.  We just got back from a 4 day dry camp, so first thing I did was hook up the 30 amp cord (also needed 12 more feet of 12 gauge extension cord to reach the 15 AMP outlet on the side of the house) to get the battery charged back up.  I had read that the RPod 180 has a good 3 stage charging system and I was going to try it out by leaving the battery charging via the onboard charger/inverter in the trailer and monitor the voltage.  I had hooked up to 110 AC for 1 week and never had any problems with battery cooking.

We have in the past month, been out twice on four day weekends, drained the battery down to 11.6 Volts both times and I know that "they" say it is best not to go below 12 volts or 50%.  

Anyways, I'll get to the point, after 12 hours I noticed a smell and saw water on the pavement under the battery.  It was steaming pretty good and I could hear it boiling.  I quickly disconnected the cord and switched off the battery (I installed a battery switch on the battery box to the neg battery terminal about 4 months ago).  

It was really hot, I suspect that if I had not noticed it and went to bed I would not have a trailer in the morning!  After it cooled down some I checked the fluid levels  and they were not too bad, I did top them up with distilled water.  After reading some about "cooked battery", I realize this was a mistake, as the battery started to get warm again from the chemical reaction with the acid and distilled water.  I should have waited longer before adding more water.

I know the battery is likely toast, but why did the charger in the RPod keep charging?  I thought the 3 stage charger would give a bulk charge then go to the absorption, then finally a float.  Before this all happened, I did keep checking the readout of the battery on a 12 volt LED I had installed and saw it was charging at 13.6 Volts and when my battery started to cook, it was still at 13.6 Volts. 

Even though the Interstate 12 Volt 27 size battery is 2 years old, the 2016 RPod 180 is new from a dealer but we just bought it in April 2017.  So everything is still under warranty.  There is no serial number, or any info on the battery.  Interstate web site shows it is a deep cycle battery, but not even the label says that. 

How do I determine if the 180's charger is the problem or if the battery is just bad?

I checked the battery at it's terminals about 2 hours later, and got a direct reading of 12.6 volts.

My dealer that I just bought from no longer carries RPods and they are 1.5 hours away.  Hope to buy two 6 volt Golf Cart batteries and a 100Watt Solar panel but don't want to risk wrecking new expensive batteries until I find out if my RPod's charger is ok.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks

Bob

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:02am
"they" are correct. If you took your battery down 11.6 a couple times, you damaged the battery. Lead acid batteries are a pretty well sorted out technology at this point, been around over 150 years...

My guess is sulfation and bridging of the plates, then an internal short. It may, or may not still be an issue.

If you are seeing 13.6v at the leads, then the converter charger is working correctly. I would take the battery to AutoZone and have them load test it.
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:26pm
Thanks Furpod, I suspected that I may have taken it down below 50% a few times more than just the last 2 times out camping.  With the RPod 171 I used the LED battery indicator, and if it shows 1/3 left that is below 50%.  

Better wrecked battery than onboard charger.  Checked the damaged battery voltage this morning and only reads 12 Volts.  Need a battery for this weekend so will give it a slow charge and maybe I'll get a day out of it.

Bob
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:21pm

I have said this before but it’s worth repeating: The four LED battery monitor is worse than worthless. No kidding, I’ve seen articles where the bottom LED illuminates with as little as 6 volts! So my interpretation of the four lights is:

4 lights: The battery is being charged but no indication of charge or battery condition

3 lights: The battery is not being charged but has some usable charge

2 lights: Caution, battery is close to being exhausted

1 light: Either I left the battery at home or the one I have is toast

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Podizzi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:45pm
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you measure battery level if you do not use 4 light system on monitoring panel inside rpod?  We were out in our 179 recently and monitor showed 2 lights after 4 nights out so I plugged into running TV and ran it for 15 to 20 minutes and monitor showed 3 lights.  We got home 2 days later and plugged into house electric and it recharged to 4 lights pretty quickly.  Is there a better way to measure?  I am researching generators now (Honda 2000)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Podizzi

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you measure battery level if you do not use 4 light system on monitoring panel inside rpod?  We were out in our 179 recently and monitor showed 2 lights after 4 nights out so I plugged into running TV and ran it for 15 to 20 minutes and monitor showed 3 lights.  We got home 2 days later and plugged into house electric and it recharged to 4 lights pretty quickly.  Is there a better way to measure?  I am researching generators now (Honda 2000)

There are no stupid questions here, only stupid answers, and we try to minimize those.Wink There are several ways to measure battery charge. The best way is with a hydrometer, but that's somewhat of a hassle for the non purists. The next best way is with a good digital voltmeter connected directly to the battery terminals. Let the battery "rest" for an hour and a fully charged battery should read 12.6V or better. Another method is a wall mounted digital voltmeter inside the camper but connected directly to the power distribution panel (converter panel). Again the resting period is required for accuracy. The least accurate method, excepting the 4 LED thing of course, is a wall mounted meter connected to an existing light or fan circuit. That can work if you're careful to measure when nothing else is operating in the camper and the rest period has elapsed.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:44pm
I installed an Amazon voltmeter in the lower pantry of our 179.  Directly over the power panel, so it was easy to hook up directly to an open circuit and install.  The only issue is that I have to open the pantry door to get a reading, but it's not like you need to stare at it all day.  Charlie M, would you please define "rest".  Should I flip my battery cutoff switch, or just make sure the pod has been idle?   For how long?
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Charlie M, would you please define "rest".  Should I flip my battery cutoff switch, or just make sure the pod has been idle?   For how long?
Thanks

Technically "rest" means NO charging and NO discharging for "several" hours. Practically you should not charge or put any significant load on it for an hour. That means no lights/fans/pump/radio/TV/furnace/propane WH for that hour. First thing in the morning before you fire up the furnace is a good time. The residual load from the CO detector/ thermostat and fridge control board can be tolerated. With time you'll learn the idiosyncrasies of the battery and get a feel for the method. The important thing is don't let the reading go below 11.9V or so when nothing is running.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

I have said this before but it’s worth repeating: The four
LED battery monitor is worse than worthless. No kidding, I’ve seen articles
where the bottom LED illuminates with as little as 6 volts! So my interpretation of the four lights is:

4 lights: The battery is being charged but no indication of
charge or battery condition

3 lights: The battery is not being charged but has some
usable charge

2 lights: Caution, battery is close to being exhausted

1 light: Either I left the battery at home or the one I have
is toast

Funny but, actually very true. I suspect no two panels are the same, either.

The electric "lights" are, at the very least, as accurate as the tank level sensors. Mankind has yet to find a productive use for those. I suspect that they are relics from the early Mercury space program...back when they were training monkeys to "fly" the capsule. If the monkey pressed the correct button, a light would light and then, he would get a banana. I go into my camper, press a button, a light comes on but, I don't get a banana. I think it is broken.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by David

Funny but, actually very true. I suspect no two panels are the same, either.

The electric "lights" are, at the very least, as accurate as the tank level sensors. Mankind has yet to find a productive use for those.

I thought about going into that too, but that's a subject of another "product endorsement". You are correct.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>