R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator - Event Date: 14 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generator
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The price is what has kept me from purchasing one of these setups. To be sure, they include the machined cap with fittings, the tank, and the gas line. In order to seal, one can't just take any old cap, drill a hole, and glue a fitting in. Everything needs to seal tight and be resistant to gasoline. One can purchase the cap separately for much less, but then one needs to find the other parts to make the system work.

I was just looking at the cap on my Firman.  It doesn't look like a big job to get another cap from Firman (if they'll sell you one) and seal it air-tight by removing the inner piece that lets it draw air and seal the holes (Epoxy is gasoline resistant), then drill a center hole and install a nozzle that you can fit a hose to (that's not rocket science either).  If there's nothing else to it, then you need a gas can with a vent.  OK, old gas cans had the screw-off vent on the backside but modern ones don't have one, so again, you'll have to figure out how to make a fitting with a cap and seal it to the gas can.  If I haven't missed anything, that's all that $146 unit has going for it.  Well, it's a project to think about, but I won't know how badly I think I need it until the weather cools off and we start using our camper.  We are doing a camping-lifestyle change.  We have been "travelers."  Class B Mercedes motorhome.  See a lot but don't spend much time camping in one spot.  Walmart international campgrounds have been our preference because we just need a place to sleep and hit the road in the morning.  Now with a Pod, those days are over.  Travel trailers are better suited for people that stay in one place a few days and not as suited to the "drive-all-day" traveler where the motorhome shines because you can use the inside of the camper all day (It's always cool in the camper...wife can go to the bathroom, get me a sandwich or a drink, etc...while going down the road, something you can't do with a travel trailer unless you stop some place and go into the trailer, which is HOT.) . So we are going to see how much we like "place-camping" this fall.  There may be a real nice 2018 RP-176 for sale this fall! LOL
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Plantguy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:12pm
Hey Podders,
I just received my Honda 2000i. Set it up , plugged in my 179, everything ran, even the air conditioner. I only ran the air conditioner for a short time. Time will tell if I choose the right one...
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345