R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator - Event Date: 14 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generator
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 1:44pm
Hello Poders,
I am in the market for a generator. I want a quiet one. I know Honda seems to be the generator of choice. I was hoping to spend less than $1,000. I would also be interested in a propane powered generator but my main requirement is low noise. 2000 watt. Will run both 12v and 110 systems. Any help is appreciated.
Ken, the plantguy.
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 2:28pm

I have a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and have been pleased with it. They can be had for around $500. It seems to be as quiet as the Honda. Mine will not run on propane, however.
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 2:38pm
I have two 2000i generators. A handa  and a honeywell.  Both run great. The honda starts on the first pull and the honeywell always needs about ten pulls with a little help with starting fluid. There both quite running.  honda about $1000 honeywell $500. honda is lighter by about 10lbs.
BobHerring View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 3:26pm
Hey Ken:

I'm not yet an Rpod owner, but we are semi-seriously thinking that it will be our next rig. 
We're now on our third pop up camper, a Forest River Mac. 
I bought a Honda eu2000i generator last year before we did a 15,000 mile from FL out to WA state and all in between. Needed it when we were off-grid, to recharge the pop up battery mainly because I use a CPAP machine at night. 

Bottom line:  the Honda is a terrific generator. It runs a long time on a gallon of gas. It is VERY quiet, with a "normal" setting, and an even quieter "Eco" setting. It starts up easily and dependably. It charged the battery up with no issues. 

It is worth $1000.00. 

Next week we are going on a 2-month road trip up the Easr coast. 
I upgraded the battery from a 100-amp hour starting battery to two 100-amp hour deep cycle batteries running in parallel. I expect this to work well. We will see. 
Hope some of this info is useful to you. 

Bob
Bob
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:14pm
The Honda generators tend to handle power surges better than cheaper ones. The typical Champion 2000W has an 80cc engine, but the Honda EU2000i has a 98.5cc engine.
Mtn Ascender View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:26pm
So I recently sold my Honda eu2000i after 13+ years of minimal use. It was barely just too small. I needed another 300-500 watts.

I found this unit from Westinghouse. Not much info out there on it as it is a new model. But it appears very similar to the Honda in almost all aspects.

It appears to work pretty decent. Is within a db or 2 of the Honda and has similar run specs. I've barely run 1 tank of gas through it but it seems to function quite nice.

http://apelectric.com/westinghouse-igen2500-2200w-portable-inverter-generator/?gclid=CP7S0P3pkNUCFYE2gQodu84Jcw
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:41pm
I have a 179 and the Honda 2000 wouldn't run the AC so I bought a Yamaha 2400 which will./  I paid $1295 plus tax and am very happy with it.
The Pirate's Pod
Mtn Ascender View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 6:28pm
Guys if you're too lazy to click on the link I posted the Westinghouse can be bought for $550. Not $1000 or $1295 and it does just as much as the more expensive ones do.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 6:43pm
I am not lazy but in tune. My Generac does what I want it to do, and I understand the limitations. So I am happy. I agree you can purchase bigger happy, but I chose not to do that, I chose a genset I can maneuver and meets my needs. Lot of products out there. Mine does what I need.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Mtn Ascender

So I recently sold my Honda eu2000i after 13+ years of minimal use. It was barely just too small. I needed another 300-500 watts.

I found this unit from Westinghouse. Not much info out there on it as it is a new model. But it appears very similar to the Honda in almost all aspects.

It appears to work pretty decent. Is within a db or 2 of the Honda and has similar run specs. I've barely run 1 tank of gas through it but it seems to function quite nice.

http://apelectric.com/westinghouse-igen2500-2200w-portable-inverter-generator/?gclid=CP7S0P3pkNUCFYE2gQodu84Jcw

Your link doesn't work or my phone is broken
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>