R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProtecting seals and skin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protecting seals and skin?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 11:23am
Ahoy, rPodsters:

It looks like we won't be using a cover to store the pod for extended periods.  My wife wants to use it as a spare bedroom, occasional at-home escape pod, which is cool.  So, how to keep it in fighting trim while exposed to the elements.  We live in a very dry area--usually about 6" of rain per year, hot summers and cold winters, although not Montana cold.  The principle stress, I think, will be heat and UV.  I've purchased some seal treatment for the slide out, and I'm wondering what you all recommend for taking care of the roof and walls.  I've read about waxing and such.  What do you all do?  This was a major investment for us, and I want to keep it in tip top shape.

Thanks!

Scott
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 3:41pm
Amazon sells portable car ports.  They will block the sun while you can still get in an out of the RPOD.  You can also only put up the roof and not the sides.  They are not much more than a tight fitting cover.  Just need to find one that's 18-20 feet long and 10 feet high
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 4:18pm
We use ours year round in TN. I do regular washing and waxing, primarily fix issues as fast as I can. Inspection is key. Mine has held up well.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 4:27pm
Thanks, guys.

I've thought about the carport idea, but my parking is already pretty technically difficult as it is. I've got to back it around a pretty tight corner to get it in behind our house.  Adding in a carport would just add to the difficulties.

Mike:  What do you wax with?  How often?  I'm trying to get a sense of maintenance schedule and products.

Thanks.

Scott
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 4:34pm
Presently I wash once a month with a good quality wash/wax product I bought at auto supply, that keeps the staining to a minimum. Yearly, right now, I do a full wax of the TT, I use a quality marine wax and it is tough to do in a day for me. I parked the TT where it has some shade but not under trees. My plan this winter is to move inside but I will not have availability of my 30 amp service.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply