R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-POD dome tend side securing to wall of R-POD - Event Date: 05 Jul 2017 - 12 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-POD dome tend side securing to wall of R-POD
    Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 9:34am
A Dometic dome tent came with recently purchased 179, and we have practiced setting up the tent with great success. ( no harsh words were spoken or thought!) However when it came time to secure the sides of the tent to the external wall of the 179, we were presented with instructions to use the suction cup/clamp mechanism. Since there were three grommet  holes on each side of tent we decided these were the places to mount the cups. Once mounted and clamped we noticed significant air gaps between the material of the tent and the fiber glass wall. Aware the bugs and such will find a way, wondering is others have found more effective ways of narrowing the gaps between tent material and the wall of 179? As usual I am always grateful for your time and energy in responding. Billy
Billy
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 10:37am
I use paracord front and back. In the front I tie it to the tongue and in the rear to the spare tire mount. Not only doest it wrap the tent around the outer edges of the pod, it actually makes the ten about a foot larger by stretching it out.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
analogtime View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 10:45am
Could you share pictures?
wcbnpb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:46pm
 Thanks for the para-cord idea. Sorry no pics were taken and we put it to bed until the next time.
Billy
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:07am
From a previous forum participant, years ago - 

Bungee cords of variable lengths, with rubberized hooks. 

Put one end in grommet hole, extend to opposite side of r-pod and hook onto raised trim there, or to spare tire or to battery box area, as appropriate. 

Tiny bungee cords attached to stabilizing jacks to hold down corners, overlapping the mosquito netting of the side curtains to keep bugs out.  

The suction cups are someone's idea of a bad joke!
wcbnpb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:19am
 Thanks for the validation of the suction cups! I thought it was me! Will get the bugee cords, makes sense. Thanks. Billy
Billy
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 1:10pm
I have tried different suction cups for 2 years with varying degrees of success. So now I am experimenting with industrial grade Velcro. I got a 15 ft. roll of 2" wide black Velcro from Lowes. I placed the "hook" side on the Pod & the "loop" side on the dome. After one camping trip to the ERU the Velcro seems to work great. It makes a totally bug proof seal between the sides of the Pod & the dome. I am waiting to see how it hold up to the hotter temps. 

Granted, this adds two 2" wide black vertical stripes to the side of the Pod, but they sort of blend with the other black trim, etc.  
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
wcbnpb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:27am
 I was hoping some one would have tried the Velcro idea, as I was also going to give that a try at some point. I also wonder how the temp variations would effect the tape. We live in NH where the temps can be high and very low. Thanks for responding. Billy
Billy
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 3:16pm
A thought as someone who sews very often with Velcro ... I can't honestly say whether or not it would have been better to put the loop side on your RPod instead. But what you will likely find, is that the hook side will "grab" every bit of dust, fur, plant fluff, human hair, etc. that touches it. While it's sitting, let alone while moving on down the road :-) In situations where I have to put the hook side in the most exposed area or in places like the top openings of sleeping bags I place strips of the loop side to cover the grab side while not in use. In other words, buy another equivalent length of both hook & loop. Put the extra hook side away for the future, and put the extra loop side over the top of the hook on your trailer to keep stuff off it when not in use. Just pull it off and put it away when you attach your R-Dome. The cost will be minimal, the time saved not spending time picking out debris with tweezers will be significant. And debris must be removed, othewise it will impede the ability of the loop side (and therefore your R-Dome) to firmly attach. Hope this helps!
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply