R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPublic Vs. Private Owner Campgrounds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Public Vs. Private Owner Campgrounds?
    Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:17am
We will be picking up our 2016 R-Pod 180 next week and can't wait to go camping! It is a little overwhelming trying to navigate through all the websites and deciding where to go, what spot to pick, do we want water/electric/septic etc. but also if we should stay in a private or public campground.  Just wondering but R-Poders prefer and why?
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:55am
We usually hit KOA's camping, we really like the standards they keep and the locations and staff. Our favorite is the KOA on Cape Hatteras where we spend our Octobers.
We will stay at Flying J truck stops and Pilots, on the way to our destinations. Seems to work well so far.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:58am
Everyone has different needs and expectations. You will just need to try a few and see what you like.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 9:48am
I completely agree with Furpod. My likes may not be your likes. We tend to prefer National Park campgrounds. No hookups generally, but they are usually a little less cramped and quieter. Two of our faves are Smokemont in the Smokies and Frisco on the Outer Banks. If I was going to be in one place for a month though, full hookups would be very nice.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Sandy Musher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:36am
Thanks Leo B.  We are so new to this that I never even heard of a KOA campground!  That is why I'm glad I found this forum.  They sound like great places to stop on your way to a destination.  Is that what you use them for?
Sandy Musher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:43am
Tars Tarkas - Our goal is to also use National Park campgrounds but want to start with using some of the hook ups and get used to camping before going off grid (so my husband and I don't strangle each other on our 1st try LOL). We like the quiet too and love hiking and kayaking.  
JGnTX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:47am
I will add a plus one for the KOA campgrounds. We have never used them before, most of our camping had been state park trips but on our first run with the r-pod we were traveling from Texas to the Grand Canyon so we needed some stops along the way. Our first layover was a KOA our second layover was an independent campground, both were nice and had their own personalities. We ended up staying at several more KOAs on the journey and found all of them good places to be. KOA does have a discount card program, it costs $30 but saves you 10% on the nightly rate. It paid for itself on our first trip.

As for what type of site, we tried to make sure that every other stop had full hook ups, that gave us the option to be able to dump if we needed to. Bottom line, anywhere in the Pod is a good place to be.
The progression: Lift up camper - popup camper - Trailmanor - Backpack - 2016 R-Pod 171!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:20am
Over the years, we've only stayed in a handful of KOA campgrounds. They are a known quantity. Generally clean, with rules. Not generally dispersed very much (meaning tighter spacing). IOW, you can almost always count on them to be consistent.

If you are looking for more of an outdoors experience, other places will be what you're looking for; be it public, private, or boondocking.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:46pm
Considering your location, I suggest, as soon as you get it sorted out, for the real off grid experience, and great camping, Cataloochee and Balsam Mountain. Quiet, small, no hookups, low camper count.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:35pm
FYI, in case you don't know, Cataloochee is strictly reservation only now. It's probably the hardest campground to get to with a camper in the GSMNP so you don't want to get there and find you can't stay.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>