R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeird grey tank overflow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird grey tank overflow
    Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm
Not to be nit picky, but a bad check valve in the pump will fill the fresh water tank, not the gray. The symptom is an overflow of the FW tank out the overflow or city water connection. Sounds like an answer from the marketing dept. The pump check valve is inside the pump and most problems arise from some dirt or sand preventing the valve from seating. The first attack is to cycle the pump several times (with city water disconnected) to try and dislodge the dirt. If this doesn't clear it I believe the valve can be replaced but it requires disassembly of the pump. Search the internet for help on your pump model.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:05pm
Hey, Charlie:  Hah, figures.  I don't think this rig has seen enough use for the pump to be malfunctioning like this.  We'll see.  I'm still leaning towards the high pressure/open shower sink explanation.  I just wish we'd seen it!  Grrrr.

Thanks.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm
Scott,

FR is notorious for loose plumbing fittings. Seems their assemblers are either weak or untrained. Lots of folks have had massive plumbing leaks after the first road exposure. I had shower water running all over the floor and found the P-trap not even hand tight. That's probably not your exact problem but there could be a loose connection on the supply side of the shower sink. It may be possible for water to run down from there to the shower pan and into the gray tank. Water, especially under pressure, can do strange things. If there is a loose fitting it could be spraying somewhere and following a circuitous (engineering term) path to the shower pan. As I recall there is a small access hole below the sink or you might have to remove the sink. Easy enough to do. I no longer have my Pod so I can't be exact.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Mr. Scott

Hey, Podsters:

There IS a potential pathway for freshwater to the grey tank.  Dig this hot off the presses from Forest River:

Scott,

It sounds like the check valve in your water pump may have gone bad. Typically if the check valve in the water pump goes out, the city water will end up filling the grey tank.

So, folks, any tips/tricks/guidance to accessing and servicing this valve?  Will I have to replace the whole pump?  Thanks.

Scott

NO.

There is NO direct path for water from the city water inlet to the GREY tank. There is to the FW holding tank. Whoever "Scott" is, he is not understanding the question/problem, or he is a dumbass.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:07pm
+1, there is no path from fresh water to gray tank. I have reoccurring issue with city water going to FW tank. I spent 4 days at the ERU and on final day my fresh water tank was 1/4 full. Before that it was empty. My next step is to pull water pump and inspect.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:13pm
Hah!  Sorry about the font confusion.  I am "Scott"! Smile  It was a message directed to me from FR.  I didn't switch out the font when adding my comment at the end.  Doh!  Yeah, I think the person--Samantha--just shot an answer off. 

It turns out there WAS a pressure regulator on the line, so that is out as part of the equation.  My wife remembers that there were some drops of water on/in the shower/toilet sink, so that must be the culprit.  I'm going to check out the pump area and look at the connections for the sink in the wall.  I'll see what I can see.  I'll correct the FR person! 

Thanks so much, guys.

Scott--THE Scott.
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

You should have a pressure reducer on the city water inlet. We usually attach ours to the spigot that the campground supplies. This will reduce the pressure to both your rpod, as well as the supply hose.

We also have a filter on the city water inlet that goes between the hose and the rpod.

So the hookup goes like this:

city water -> pressure reducer -> supply hose -> filter - rpod.

ditto
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Mr. Scott

.........I'll correct the FR person! 

Don't bother. It's been tried before to no avail. If they can't understand something as simple as FW/GW/BW systems there's little hope. However, she might have a bright future at an RV dealership.

BTW I recommend the Fairview WR-RV55 pressure regulator. A lot higher flow rate than even the so called "high flow rate" regulator from Camco. It assures a full flow shower when you're at a CG with water and sewer connections. See my post at http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8690&title=water-pressure-regulators-and-flow-rates
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123