R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch for 179 with TV Highlander? - Event Date: 23 Jun 2017 - 30 Jun 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hitch for 179 with TV Highlander?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:30am
 Just hauled our newly purchased 2016 179 from North Carolina to our Home in New Hampshire. Our TV Highlander V-6, with 5K rated receiver pulled the r-pod nicely at or just under highways seeds. Other than then expected bouncing over very rough roads in Penn. our only concern was the loud ( to us) creaking noises we heard when pulling in to gas stations or campground sites. The hitch that came with the 179 is a Husky weight distribution with metal sway bars. I mounted this as best I could with help from mechanical brother in law. Previous owner towed with a Ford F-150.  I have made an appointment with the local RV dealer to have them inspect my rigging to see if I have made mistake in mounting, alignment, weight distribution, height, etc.. I did want to find out if other forum members, who tow with Highlander have used hitches and accessories they have found useful.thanks in advance for taking time to read and respond. Billy
Billy
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
Congrats on your new 179!

My (Reese) creaks almost as loud as I do getting out of bed! And that's loud!

I have friction sway, which I try to remember to loosen when coming into campground but most of the creak comes from spring bars. I have used a little grease in the socket end of my spring bars, but I think that only helps to get grease on my pants or legs.

I've heard it a lot from other rigs. Don't think it's anything to worry about.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
We have the E2 hitch, which I think is similar to what yours is. It does creak & moan. Despite the fact that I am reducing the friction anti-sway, I put a dab of lithium grease on all the friction points. There is no question that it quiets things down noticeably. I know that it probably also defeats some of the anti-sway. However, we are pulling with an F-150, so I think we are overkill on that part of it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:52am
We tow with a 2012 Highlander and use the E2 hitch. It's rather loud when turning at low speeds, but that just means the sway control is working.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:26pm
One thing you can do to help is to use a hitch tightener such as the StowAway or equivalent. That will eliminate any clunking sounds from the hitch shank being loose in the hitch receiver.

Another thing that helps with our Equal-i-zer hitch is to use the Sway Bracket Jackets to reduce the groaning noise. However, they are not recommended for the Fastway E2 hitch, even though some have used them and said they do quiet the hitch. The reason is that unlike the 4-point sway control of the Equal-i-zer, the E2 only has 2-point sway control--the friction of the bars on the brackets. Anything that reduces that friction reduces your sway control.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply