R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwnings, rdomes, and screen rooms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awnings, rdomes, and screen rooms
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:24pm
when I bought my pod, I was torn between getting the rdome or the awning. Although the rdome has a lot of appeal to me I opted for the awning. I was worried that if the rdome was very difficult to set up I might opt to not use it at all. But I really want a screened in area mostly to keep the bugs out but also to give me a little more usable space. I know Thule sells the screen room that is not easily available in the US yet but I was looking for a temporary simple and inexpensive fix. Screen rooms on Amazon are easy to set up and I could take that option but then I wouldn't be able to utilize my awning efficiently. I started researching screening material and more specifically mosquito netting. I thought about buying a big piece of netting and velcroing it or draping it over the awning but didn't know how well that would work. Has anyone every tried this? Anyone have any experience with mosquito netting? Even if you haven't your input is appreciated. 
2017 R-pod 179
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:04am
The Velcro idea might be doable.  I'd try to look at screen rooms, not just rv screen rooms, to get an idea of how they are constructed.  You'd probably want a door or two.  I used to have a screen door that attached with Velcro to the door frame and magnets to hold the 2 sides of the opening closed
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:57am
We're camping in northern Michigan right now.   Beautiful morning here. Eating breakfast outside in our r-dome where we live while camping. This by far the most expensive tent we've ever purchased and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:39pm
I admire your 'can do' attitude.

I am not sure that your idea is very practical. 

Tent makers have put a lot of thought into the stresses encountered by a tent. I bought some no-see-um proof netting to patch various holes in my r-dome's mosquito netting. That worked. However, building something that keeps bugs out, especially along the skirt, while being strong enough to stand up to routine use, I am afraid would put you into the 'school of hard knocks' where you learn by doing, and repairing, and doing, and repairing, etc.

Lots of people recommend 'easy ups' as an intermediate step before committing to one of the side tents. If you really want a side tent like the r-dome, I suggest you also look at PaHaQue side tents, altho I have no information on how well they stand up to use, and there may well be others out there.

Good luck
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
Thanks all. I think you are right happy. I am trying to simplify things, not make them harder. I might opt for a side tent. I will look into the PaHaque. 
2017 R-pod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:12pm
We use both the R Dome and an awning that we made.

the R Dome is excellent when we are staying in one location for more than a day or two.  It offers shade, privacy and rain protection.  It's best feature is the versatility of being able to open/close the front and sides to tailor the dome for your needs.  It can be a screen room , an open shelter or an enclosed room. We have used it in all of the various layouts.

The biggest knocks against the dome are that it is hard to put up.  After putting it up several times, it becomes much easier and can be done by 2 people in about 10 minutes.  We think it is well worth the effort to install it.  Several tips will help make the job easier.  File the ends of the channel so they are not sharp, check all of the screw heads to make sure they don't protrude into the channel and use silicone or WD-40 sprayed lightly into the channel.  It helps to  have marked the horizontal roof poles at the correct length before you start putting them up.  We can reach the channel by standing on a sheetrock bucket-it is solid and safe.

We also have a tarp that we made.  We purchased an 8x12 heavy duty poly tarp.  We put 5/16" sail slugs (12 pieces) along the long 12' side and these slide into the channel.  We use 3 tent poles along the outside edge and have 2 guy ropes per pole pegged in the ground.  It is sturdy, shady and offers some rain protection.  One draw back is the 1/2" open space between the channel and the edge of the tarp that is created by the depth of the sail slugs.  We have tried to make a "flap" to cover the space, but so far have not been very successful.  We are still thinking about it and will continue to make something that covers the space.

We have an "easy up" type of shelter, but don't like it for lots of reasons.  We don't take it with us when we travel. We have seen some very nice screen rooms that other campers use-they look interesting , but not much use if it rains, even if it has a top.  Generally, the sides are splayed out such that rain will get into the enclosure.  They need to be staked at the bottom for insect proofing.

I have not seen the new Thule awnings in person.  they seem like a good idea and  may also be a great addition.  I know that Thule generally makes good products that are quality materials and well engineered.

However, with my system, the same channel can serve both the R Dome and the tarp.  It's not an "either or" situation.  So, both the dome and the tarp travel with us.  We use both of them depending on the circumstances.  I think it's the best of both worlds.

Everybody has their own ideas about what works best.  Talk to others, look closely at the materials and craftsmanship and think seriously about how you will use the product you choose.
Travel safe.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:49pm
We just got the Clam and used it for the first time. Loved it! Got a package of 3 wind panels, and we were able to sit outside in the rain and stay perfectly dry.
kayzwayz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:03am
I have the Thule awning and was also looking for an additional enclosure. The Pahaque ONLY works if you have the rail for the r-dome....it does not work with an awning already in place, unfortunately!
I also looked at awning rooms by Carefree of Colorado, which do not work with the Thule awning. I'm just hoping Thule brings their awning room to the US soon!

henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 6:24pm
Pictures...a picture tells a thousand words. Especially of the tarp invention
dianab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by henryv

Pictures...a picture tells a thousand words. Especially of the tarp invention

Yes. A thousand times, yes. 
We have a Dome that we haven't used yet and I'm pouring over all the Dome-tips, and there are a lot of them! Do I need to bring a ladder if I want to set this up? A practice run in the driveway is definitely in order.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>