R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Lifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Lifts
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:43am
I didn't find any threads on lifts, if there are please direct me to them.

I just bought a nearly brand new 2014 178.  It has a lift block between the axle and frame, maybe a 3 inch lift.
For my intended use I need to lift it another 3 or 4 inches.

I'd like to hear from any of ya'll who have lifted their Pods and how high, and if a tall lift creates any problems, ect., ect.

Thanks.
JIM
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:31am
Our 2016 RP=179 came with the same lifts. I don't think I would want to take the trailer higher. Check on etrailer.com for hitch shanks with longer drop. I think that would be a better choice. If your hitch is an Equal-i-zer or E2, then I know that shanks with a longer drop are available from the manufacturer.

Consider that the step to ground distance with the 3" lift is already significant. If you went even higher, then you would need to install a double step. I did that already for ours.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:51am
Thanks Steven.  Yea a double or triple step is on the wish list.

We like to visit places less seen or traveled to.  We've been tenting it for 40 years and are now just getting a little too creaky to tent camp any more. 
So we thought we'd get a small trailer that we could possibly haul down thirdenary roads, set up camp, then explore further in the truck or hike or kayak.

So I need to get the trailer lifted so I don't rip off all that delicate plastic underneath.  I can't imagine the hassle of hauling the Pod way into some place only to rip a hole in the water tank!  The water tank is very vulnerable on my 178.

Pods are very easy to lift, just need blocks under the axle.  The use of torsion suspension makes that so easy.  I just do not know how high I can go and not have problems. 
The RPOD is not really designed for how I intend to use it.  A true off-road trailer is probably 12 inches higher then my 178 and the stuff underneath is better tucked away.  But they all weigh more than I wanted to tow.

So I'm going to give this a try and I think there will be many "Podders" like you who do not mind pitching in with a little advise.

Thanks

JIM
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:25pm
I have an e2 hitch and my TV is a Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I have the hitch set to its lowest setting and it is still too high in the front. Problem is the stabilizer jacks on the back. They sit too low. A new shank is about 100 bucks. Is that my only solution?
2017 R-pod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:27pm
Personally I think your statement about the Pod not being designed for what you want to do is spot on. At some point I would be concerned about the center of gravity. Like the interweb videos where a compact hits a raised 4WD and knocks it over. There is a point where the negative out ways the positive, especially when considering off road. I have some experience in extreme off road conditions. You could get a hitch to tow your Pod with Bigfoot, end of the day the Pod clearance is still a concern. Even the HRE Pods are not within your requirements. Instead of modifying a Pod I would find a TT that met my needs. Happy Trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:58pm
I agree with Mike.  Ground clearance is only one aspect of getting off the pavement.  Probably most places that need the kind of ground clearance you're talking about have side and top clearance issues too.  Not to mention that Pods really are not constructed to withstand a whole lot of bouncing around over the kinds of obstacles you must be talking about if you want to add another 8 or 9 inches of ground clearance.

I have an FJ too and somewhere in the owner's manual there's a warning that FJ are top-heavy and not the best choice for drifting around curves.  If you want to do that, buy a Maserati.  Contrariwise, if you have a Maserati, it's best not to plan on using it for rock crawling.

RPods aren't meant for off-roading.  Not saying you can't do it if you're determined enough, but there are better choices out there.  My opinion.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:05pm
 On page 30 of photos of tow vehicles and trailers in the introduce yourself part of the form there's a man that put a 5000 pound axle under his trailer and he has a picture of it with 33 inch tall tires that might be what you're looking for 
Love to camp
2014 171
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:14am
Thanks guys, keep it coming.  I am not new to off-road trucks by about 40 years.  But all our hard off-roading years are over, all the real crawler rigs have been sold and now we do fairly mild stuff in the FJ.  I understand the limitations of the FJ and will be learning the limitations of the RPOD. 
I don't plan on hauling the POD through Slick Rock or across Imogene Pass or anything like that, just want to get it down a few dirt/gravel roads and away from RV parks once in a while. So I don't need an off-road trailer, just an off-pavement TT.

I do see how the torsion axle is one of the limiting factors in making a RPOD off-pavementable.  Looks to me like installing a heavier axle with real leaf springs is doable, but I'm hoping I don't have to go that far.  But with leaf springs I could put in an AirLift system and just lift the trailer when I needed it lifted.  
It's always something or something else isn't it.....LOL
JIM
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:34am
cjscinta, I am by no means experienced with travel trailers but I have hooked up to a lot of trailers before, even with Tacomas.  Sorry but I do think you have but 2 choices in getting the trailer level with the truck hitch:  lift the trailer at the axle or lower the drop down hitch.
When I bought my POD the hitch and all was part of the deal.  The mechanic guy told me he has never had to use such an extreme drop hitch before in his life!  That makes me kinds nervous.....makes me want to lift the trailer more.

Does your trailer have lifting blocks between the axle and trailer?  If not that may be all you need, a 2 or 3 inch lift.  Just google "lift blocks for rpod", you'll see how easy it can be done.  It can be done with bolts, does not need to be welded.

JIM
IPPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
I raised my 2013 177HRE By replacing the axle with one having the torsion arms angled down instead of up.  This raised the rv an additional 5 inches and the axle up 5 inches. it tows no differently. entirely bolt on. No welding. Just completing my 1st season with this mod. Sure works for me.
Smile
IPPOD
177=2013
Grand Cherokee 2014 5.7
Island Park, Id
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>