R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI generally don't review badly, but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I generally don't review badly, but...
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by dianab

Well we got a walkthrough on a pod that was already winterized. Talk about crossing our fingers and hoping for the best during our first trip!! Now we live 2000 miles away from that dealer and will have to build a relationship from scratch. No clue how that's going to go...

This forum will be your best friend regarding your R-Pod.  My warranty is long gone and I'm not sure what it would take for me to go to a dealer for service.  If youi're just a little bit handy, there is a whole lot you can take care of on your own, with some help from the folks here.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
tabrods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:22am
When we picked up our 179 last year the service tech doing the walk through suggested we video the walk through. It was one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. We consult the video occasionally for questions and it has saved us more than once.
dianab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:52pm
Well we got a walkthrough on a pod that was already winterized. Talk about crossing our fingers and hoping for the best during our first trip!! Now we live 2000 miles away from that dealer and will have to build a relationship from scratch. No clue how that's going to go...
2016 183G "Roadrunner"
2014 Nissan Frontier
2 Happy Campers
1 Dynamic Doodle
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm
So much depends on the dealer.  Ours is the closest R Pod dealer to us and about 40 miles away.  I have worked with them each year to make sure our camping year is enjoyable and they have always come through.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 1:27pm
Our dealer is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think they have fewer than 10 employees, including the people in the repair shop. We've been very happy with them, even if we probably could have gotten our 179 somewhere else for less. The service manager is a hoot and very customer oriented. There's something to be said for having a trusted dealer within 20 miles.
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:36am
Bought out Pod as a newbie at Couch RV as well attracted by price.
This is NOT a good dealership for newbies, well at least for Pods anyway, and for us.
Our "walk-thru" lasted maybe, at most, 30 minutes. 
It a big assembly line and when your time-slot is up, they push you out.
Even a seasoned RV'er would be rushed in 30 minutes, but a newbie has no chance.
In retrospect it is clear to me now that this was and probably still is just their business model.
Nothing wrong with what they do as long folks know that they are basically a wholesaler.
Should know that before going there, but sadly we and others don't find out till it's too late.

Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:26pm
Some smart car dealers offer several sessions of interactive instruction on the cars they sell.  An RV dealer has even more to gain from doing so.  After the initial walkthrough at the time of delivery, they could put on periodic seminars about different systems in the units they sell.  They could set it up for a Saturday or Sunday and offer a couple morning and afternoon sessions with a grill set up with a lunch of hotdogs and such for the participants.  They could charge a modest fee for the seminar and schedule the courses such that there would be time to shop in their parts store and lot before and after.  

Such a program would bring in existing and new customers, would promote good will and trust in the dealership, and would provide the dealer an opportunity to showcase new RV's.  And who could resist looking at a brand new r-Pod with all it's new bells and whistles.  Their service department would get more business, they'd sell more parts and accessories, and they'd end up taking in old RV's in trade from those who couldn't resist the temptation of a brand new unit.

But, most RV dealers I've had contact seem to want to follow the bargain used car lot business plan of sell it fast with financing and get the customer the heck out of there to minimize the overhead.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:45pm
All about the interweb and research. We have a 3 inch binder of pertinent info, my wife put together and I add too. I made my own manuals.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
I bought my first RV, a 178, in Conway Arkansas, just 40 miles down the road from where I live.

My research told me the dealer was very good.  I talked with people who have bought from them and all were satisfied with the dealership.

This was my very first RV.  I got a "walk though" but it was more like a "run across the street".  WAY too much information for a newby to ingest.  The walk through probably would have been fine for someone already familiar with the workings of an RV, I guess I should have videod the trip.

I am pretty good with mechanics and understand how things work, and I've had boats for a while and this little Pod in not all that dissimilar from a boat, so I'm getting by.

But I tell ya, just a few manuals would sure help!  I have the manual on the refrigerator and that's all.
Wouldn't it be nice if Forest River would do some R-Pod specific youtube videos?

Kadoos to all of you on this forum, you have helped me out a lot!!!

Now if I could just figure out the switches on the water heater.....uuurg!
JIM
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 7:31pm
Yes Mike, the issue is the walkthrough.

I mean, really?!

I don't get why a dealer wouldn't at least offer a thorough walkthrough - checking all the systems? Is it because they are gambling the client goes away and doesn't come back? Are they hoping the client does come back and they can charge Forrest River? Perhaps they know the quality is so bad, they just hope to get them off the lot with no one noticing? It really can't cost that much to do a thorough walkthrough and lot test all the systems relative to handling the issues after the fact. What is the business model in in letting manufacturing defects leave the lot?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>