R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes not working well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes not working well
    Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
We brought home a seldom used 2015 179 yesterday, and the brakes did not seem to work well, even with my controller set to the max. I figured they were sticking from lack of use or needed adjusting, so I pulled the drums when I got home. Everything looked good, and I was pleased to find the brakes are self adjusting. The only thing I found, was the brake shoes were covered with little protrusions, kind of large grains of sand. Thinking this may be preventing the shoes from making full contact, I sanded the shoes until they were smooth. It does seem better now, but on my other campers I was able to lock up the tires, on this one they will not lock, and I still have my controller set very high. This is my first one axel camper, so I am used to 4 brakes. Does this sound normal for a pod?
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
On my 180 I can't lock the brakes up, I don't ever know if I would want to,but there is a nice strong tug that slows my truck down when I push the lever all the way
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:49pm
Same on my 179!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:55pm
I do not adjust my controller to lock brakes, I adjust to slow trailer, locking the brakes is extreme. I have a P3 controller and way I adjust is to put trailer on level ground, put TV in drive at idle, use manual brake adjusted and increase braking so that trailer no longer moves forward when manual brake is applied at idle. That's adequate to slow trailer and not adversely effect trailer brakes.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:55pm
I locked mine up once, but only a millisecond or so before my TV brakes locked up. I think that's what they should do. Scary way to test though.

I have my P3 adjusted so that I really see very little breaking difference wether or not the Pod is back there.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm
ABS systems on TVs prevent brake locking. Makes no sense to have the trailer set to lock. Best to have both work in conjunction. Having a single axle trailer stop a TV isn't the way to go. Most folks will say they never could get their trailer to lock as per the supplied set up instructions.
Mike Carter
2015 178
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm
Thanks for the feedback. The directions on the brake controller say to increase the power until they lock up and back off from there. That is how I set up my other campers and I could easily get all four to lock. I got concerned when I maxed the controller and they still wouldn't lock.
I think I have them at a good point now where they are giving me a nice tug. My controller is still set much higher than my last camper though, not sure if this is because I only have 2 brakes instead of the 4 I am used to or if I still have a problem.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
2 versus 4 could make a difference. I read those same directions and said no way. I don't think you have a problem, but I do think trying to have your single axle TT stop your TV, is an issue. Took me a bit to find a balance, where everything slowed in unison.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:42am
I don't have a brake controller. Should I?
2015 R-Pod 179
2016 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

"It's a good thing we are going slowly because we might be going in the wrong direction." Ashliegh Brilliant
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:02am

Wait, What? no brake controller? 
Does your pathfinder somehow send an automatic braking signal to the pods brakes? 
Did I just learn something?
Do you have a 7 pin trailer plug in?
Do you have a weight distributing hitch? and / or anti sway?
Yes you need a brake controller., your pod has brakes and is heavy, and the law says you must, and it's dangerous when someone does something stupid in front of you. 
Or you are traveling downhill on a curve and anything happens fast and you need to stop.
But maybe it's automatic somehow (never heard of this).
rgds John

Just pinched this from the Nissan towing site site;
Electric Trailer Brakes – Electric braking systems are activated by an electronic signal sent
from a trailer brake controller (special brake-sensing module). If electric trailer brakes are used
and the vehicle is not equipped with an integrated trailer brake controller, NISSAN
recommends the installation of an aftermarket trailer brake controller.
For adjustment
specifications, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions of the brake controller being installed.
For your convenience, Armada, Frontier, Pathfinder, Titan, and NV vehicles are pre-wired to
accommodate most popular electric trailer brake controllers. A wiring harness* is either
included with your vehicle or available from your NISSAN dealer. This harness provides
electric trailer brake controller input and output connections to the vehicle wiring.
See a
professional supplier of towing equipment for electric trailer brake controller availability

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>