R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome roof leaks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome roof leaks!
    Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:24pm
I searched for this issue and didn't find much so maybe I am a one off?  

We are on our first outing this weekend with our 171 and brand new R-Dome..... the dome was purchased on Craig's List but was brand new in the box, still in original packaging.  It was included with a new 178 (I think) and the owner didn't want the Rdome.  

We had a torrential downpour last night and to my great surprise, while it was raining outside.... it was raining INSIDE the Rdome!  Like, quite a bit!  Our chairs were soaked and I got wet just standing in the center of the Rdome.  It seemed to be coming in from all over the roof area.  

This morning I looked closely and the roof fabric seems to be coated and appears to be waterproof.  But where there are creases in the roof fabric from where it was folded in the packaging, the coating seems to have been worn enough to see some lighter areas and even pinholes through to the outside.  

I plan on using tent waterproofing spray to see if that stops the leaking but I am wondering if this is unusual or whether others have a similar issue with the Rdome leaking through the roof fabric.  Since I am not the original purchaser (although I AM the original user), I am assuming Forest River and/or Dometic won't do anything for me.  I'm just glad we didn't pay anywhere near what a new Rdome would have cost!  

Paul
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
The biggest issue is confusing condensation with leakage. But many owners choose to spray or roll on fresh water proofing, just like any other tent. 
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by furpod

The biggest issue is confusing condensation with leakage. But many owners choose to spray or roll on fresh water proofing, just like any other tent. 

And I was trying to make that distinction too last night.  I think there was some condensation / moisture on the inside of the roof and it was flapping around in the wind, but I don't think that explained all the internal precipitation.  I have had good luck with the waterproofing spray I use on another shelter that had an untreated roof with holes where the seams were sewn.  The waterproofing spray 100% stopped all leakage.  

Paul
pedalho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:48pm
During our last camping trip in Asheville and Brevard, NC we experienced some pretty heavy downpours. The dome did not disappoint. It made me love it even more. 
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by pgoelz

But where there are creases in the roof fabric from where it was folded in the packaging, the coating seems to have been worn enough to see some lighter areas and even pinholes through to the outside.  

I love the R-Dome concept but hate the execution and material. The first year or so it worked well, but since then there has been some serious deterioration. After a little over 2 years of use, I had the same 'starry sky' pattern from repeated folding and a shower INSIDE when it rains. On our last trip a couple of weeks ago I noticed the mosquito netting was tearing from the skirt's keder rail attachment in multiple places, and 'no', I don't pull it by the mosquito netting.  

I am now seriously thinking of laying a lightweight tarp over the top as a fly to try to get some rain protection inside the R-Dome.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:36pm
I agree with Happy Tripping.  We absolutely love the dome but it is very cheaply made and the materials used in its manufacture are not very durable.  Further, even when brand new, it leaked.  Ours is now 2 years of.  We'll try to eke out another year with it and then replace it with the Pahaque version
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:47pm
Maybe the older ones were constructed better? Ours came with the pod in March 2011.  Still works well and has used a fair amount.  The only thing it doesn't like is when we get these 'surprise' storms with winds in excess of 25-30+ MPH, stakes pull out and the r-dome is totally slapping against the pod's wall. Have been amazed it hasn't ripped after all those events.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by jato

Maybe the older ones were constructed better? Ours came with the pod in March 2011.  Still works well and has used a fair amount.  

That is very interesting. 

I have had one report in this forum of successful use of an r-dome for 7 years! The only way that mine could last 7 years would be if I am camping only in the Gobi Desert, without rain or bugs, and am also nearly totally blind so I couldn't see the holes in the dome roof, mosquito netting , etc. I even have a hole in the carry bag where a pole poked thru! I store the bag in the pass-thru and have to shove it around some, but not excessively. 

I also put the r-dome up by myself, not hard at all with a step stool, and I am sure that this adds to the opportunities for bad things to happen.

I want to emphasize, I really like the r-dome, it's the material that's so lousy. I am very interested in anyone using the Pahaque side tent and if it holds up better than the r-dome.
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm
Very interesting indeed!  

I sprayed the roof this morning and I am letting it bake in the sun for a while.  We have another three day weekend coming up this coming weekend, so it may get another test if it rains.  

When I sprayed the roof, there were very obvious lines along the fabric from folds that did not seem to absorb the same amount of sealant.  I sprayed them again just in case.  Other than those creases and the several pinholes I spotted, I really see no reason for the roof to leak before or after I sprayed it.... it is made from what seems to be well sealed tent style fabric.  

I did notice, though, that there were a couple places along the front pole tube where it looked like the end of the pole abraded the tube as it was pushed through.  There were a couple paces where it looked like the fabric was worn almost completely through.  That is worrisome since the pole has been inserted a grand total of.... twice.  The pole does not seem to have any rough edges but I am going to go over it with a fabric polishing wheel on my Dremel to make SURE it is smooth.  

One tiny modification that should make things MUCH easier..... I cut a 45 degree chamfer on each end of the plastic Keder rail bead on the Rdome.  I have not tried it yet but I expect the chamfer will prevent the tube from catching on the screw heads as it is inserted.  I also find that after spraying the rail with some silicon, the tube can be pushed into the rail and up and over the Rpod easily from one end without assistance or a ladder (provided it doesn't catch on screw heads).  Done this way, it is a one person affair to set up the Rdome..... just make sure you don't catch the dome fabric on the fender as you insert the rail and then spread out the dome.    

Paul
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:42pm
OK, camping again in the rain.  And although the roof is MUCH better after spraying it, it still leaks some.  After setting it up and looking up I can now better see why..... there are many areas where the coating is completely gone and I can see through the threads to the sky.  Again, this Rdome was two years old but new in the box when I bought it on Craig's List.  The box was still sealed.  The worn areas are along creases where (I assume) the fabric was folded in the packaging.  But why the coating would have been so damaged while simply sitting in the factory packaging is a mystery to me.  

I plan on contacting Forest River as well as Dometic to see what they have to say but I am assuming they will not do anything for me and we are simply out the cost of the Rdome.  It was a gamble but like I said... it was new in the sealed box.  

The only thing I can think of to get a leak proof roof is to cut (or find) a piece of plastic the size of the roof and secure it over the top of the dome.  That should make it totally waterproof, and also replaceable when it wears out due to exposure.  

Too bad... we like the concept of the Rdome and it is VERY easy to set up now that I chamfered the ends of the rail bead.  One person could do it.  

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>