R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric hook up sans battery - Event Date: 10 Jun 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Electric hook up sans battery
    Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:10pm
First time I've posted, so hope I'm doing it correctly!

Rather simple question, I suppose.  A friend who recently purchased another camper told me that he understood that you could burn out "a panel or something" if you hook up electric without your battery/batteries connected to the camper.  By way of example, you hook up electric to your camper from your house, while having removed the battery for replacement, charging, doesn't matter for whatever reason.  This doesn't track with me, but I'm no electric guru either.  So, am I on track as thinking this is hooey, or is he correct? 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:27pm
I don't know for sure, but I have a hard time imagining that the charge controller (AKA "converter" in RV speak) would be damaged if there was no battery. Just make sure the battery is disconnected, and the battery terminals are not touching, and I'm pretty sure you will be OK.

Of course, no 12VDC circuits will be working; only 120VAC circuits.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:42pm
I disagree. Your RV will work with battery absent or disconnected. Part of what the converter does is supply a charge to the battery, but it also converts the incoming AC to DC for DC operated things. If you have shore power or a generator connected and disconnect or disable your battery, you can still use your 12 volt stuff. This is NOT true if you turn your converter CB off. That is what disables the Converter functions, and then you need a battery to run 12V stuff. You will not burn stuff up. It's HOOEY.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I disagree. Your RV will work with battery absent or disconnected. Part of what the converter does is supply a charge to the battery, but it also converts the incoming AC to DC for DC operated things. If you have shore power or a generator connected and disconnect or disable your battery, you can still use your 12 volt stuff. This is NOT true if you turn your converter CB off. That is what disables the Converter functions, and then you need a battery to run 12V stuff. You will not burn stuff up. It's HOOEY.
I think we are agreeing for the most part. What I was trying to say was that I did not think the converter would be damaged if there were no battery. I may be in the dark (no pun intended) that you could still operate 12VDC things. That's good to know though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 6:02pm
I agree brother. Nothing bad, I do these type of little tests all the time, that's my way of figuring things out. We're cool.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:10pm
Our Airstream has been plugged in for 5 years, no battery everything works fine. DO NOT let the battery terminals touch. Ours are wrapped in electrical tape.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 2:30pm
If you look back to February, our comrade, Toolmanjohn, was having difficulty firing his heater. The problem turned out to be that the battery was not installed in the rpod. Here is his conclusion:

"I put it back together, reconnected the electrical and the gas line, checked the gas line for leaks using bubble test, installed the 12 V battery, and it fired right up.

So in fact, the converter cannot supply a nice stable DC voltage all by itself that the furnace likes.

The battery acts as a stable buffer it appears. I ran it 12 volt only, but I expect that connecting to shore power will also now yield the same result with the battery installed."

So it appears that the battery is an integral part of the 12v circuitry in an rpod.

Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 2:38pm
I suspect he had a bad ground or something. I assure you, the converter makes 55A of solid reliable 12v power. I ran everything 12v in our pod on occasion on ONLY the converter, and on ONLY the battery.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm
+1 to Furpod. I pull my battery and do maintenance, still run Pod and 12 volt systems off converter and shore power, no issues. The converter is reliable and stable. The battery is most questionable item.
Mike Carter
2015 178
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:51pm
+2 to Furpod.  In the off season I do maintenance, and run 12v systems off converter, have been doing this for 6 years now, still works fine w/o battery hooked up.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply