Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednewbie - Event Date: 10 Jun 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: newbie
    Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:27am
Hi!  Just bought rpod 179 2017 and know nothing!  We towed it carefully to a storage area and unhitched with much ado (trying to remember our walk through) and put the rpod cover on.  First trip on Father's Day! My question is (well, the first question as I have many): should we have gotten a storage place where it plugged in?  Sounds like the battery will drain if we don't?  I am a retired 5th grade teacher so rpod electrical and battery is intimidating but I want to learn.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:32am
We store ours in a storage space when we're not using it. We take the batteries and propane with us, and do a weekly boost on the batteries while they are in our garage.

The batteries will self-discharge over time even when there is no load. If you're not going to boost them within a month or so, I would figure out something to keep them charged. If there is any kind of load on them, they might only last a week or two.

Discharging them too deeply (and what "too deeply" means varies by battery type and manufacturer) can permanently damage them.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:37am
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 179!
We store ours in our yard and just disconnect between trips and bring the battery in during the winter(use a trickle charger on it)
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
bevie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 11:47am
Thank you! It's nice to be able to ask for help. I will look for a you tube on disconnecting the battery and boosting it. :)
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 1:50pm
We store ours in the community storage lot. We do have electricity in the lot, but you cannot have an rv plugged in when you're not there. Install a battery disconnect switch to stop any draw on the battery when the trailer is not being used
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 6:50pm
Pods have a propane detector that is hard-wired to the battery, and the fridge, if it's on any mode, uses the battery to run its control board.  The easiest, cheapest, thing to do is to just disconnect the battery (pull of one of the cables).  You could install a cut-off switch.  If you won't be using the pod for a month or more it would probably be best to pull the battery, take it home and charge it overnight the day before your next trip (or about every month or two).

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
bevie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:54am
Does anyone have a good charger to recommend for charging the battery when we pull it?
Thank you!Smile
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by bevie

Does anyone have a good charger to recommend for charging the battery when we pull it?
Thank you!Smile
Your TV (Tow Vehicle) should be able to keep the R-pod battery charged when towing. The main thing is that you should have a 7-pin connector (as opposed to a 4-pin). The 7-pin will provide a "hot" for feeding 12V charge to your pod.

When you are camping, the pod should keep itself charged as long as you are connected to shore power.

The only thing that might require auxiliary charging is when you are boondocking. In that case, you could use solar, or a portable generator.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:21pm
Or - hook it back up to the charge vehicle, via you 7 pin connector. The vehicle is a charge source while boon docking. Once charging is sufficient, disconnect from tow vehicle, do not leave connected. Lastly make sure your tow vehicle is set up to do what Glueguy suggested.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
When we park our 177 for the winter (mid October to early May) we pull both our batteries and store them in our unheated garage.  I will give each a trickle charge (2 amps) for a day each in November and then again around the 1st of May I repeat the process.  These batteries are group size 24  12v deep cycle batteries now beginning their 7th year of faithful service.  Make sure you get a charger than can do both 6 volt and 12 volt batteries and also have a trickle charge feature, usually 2 amps.  I mention the 6v feature as this is the better way to go if you plan on doing a lot of bondocking where no electricity is available.  During the colder months we get a good 3 days out of each battery, and that is running the furnace quite a bit when night temps are in the 30's and 40's.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply