Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicle - Event Date: 06 May 2017 - 30 Aug 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow vehicle
    Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:09pm
Hello, I am a hopefully new owner of a 179.  My tow vehicle is a 2010 Merc. Mariner with a 3.0 liter engine and a 3500 lb towing capacity.   My question is if this vehicle is adequate for towing an R Pod.
Does anyone use a Merc Mariner/Ford Escape to tow and how does it do?
Thanks for any responses
Larry LaFavor

Larry LaFavor
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:08am
You are going to be at 90-100 percent of the capability of the vehicle. Depending on your expectations and your performance sensitivity, you will be either just barely OK, or miserable. Your call. Don't pull the R-pod without a weight distribution hitch.

... or get a bigger, badder vehicle. 

Personally, I think you would be better off with something that had about a 6K lb capability.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:31am
LarryL,

The 179 has an unloaded vehicle weight of 2656 lbs, cargo capacity is 1036 lbs. That should give you idea of trailer weight. For your vehicle the 171 and 172 are the Pods under your towing capacity. Barely. I agree, you need to consider a different tow vehicle, for safety reasons. Good used tow vehicles are readily available.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:46am
We tow with a Grand Caravan with  the penstar engine. It has a 3500 lb capacity. We have towed all around New England and up and down the east coast with no problems, plenty of power and good handling.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:56pm
We started off with a Rav4 Sport with a 3.5L engine and a tow package for our 179.  We knew at the time that we were probably at the limit with it as it was rated for 3500 as well.  It did far better than I thought it would....lots of power, good pickup but you could sure feel it in the wind.  If we were only going to stay local then we probably would have stayed with it for a while but we did go bigger as we wanted to travel further with it.  We also had a E2 Fastway hitch set up for it and have just stayed with that for our new vehicle.  There are people here who have towed with the Ford crossovers and hopefully they will post something for you as well.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
The pod weighs almost as much as the car.l found crub weight for Ford Escape 3500 lbs I would be looking for for tv with more mass 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 1:30pm
We started with a 2016 Ford Escape SE with 2L Ecoboost engine. It towed very well. The sturdier frame of the 2010 Mariner is a plus. The downside is the 3L engine. While it may perform adequately at low elevations, don't expect to pass anything at high elevations and uphill climbs. Naturally aspirated engines lose about 4% power for every 1,000 ft of elevation.

You did not say whether your Mariner is FWD or AWD. If it is FWD, you will absolutely need a good weight distribution (WD) hitch, preferably with sway control. We have the Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control WD hitch. Others use the E2 hitch.

I don't tow with the Escape anymore. We had an accident in December (combination of ice and wind) that put it out of commission for an extended period. We bought  a 2010 Nissan Frontier to get us and our R-Pod home. I'm not saying that you can't tow with your Mariner. It will be less than ideal. I really do miss the Ecoboost engine though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply