R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LED strip on outside of Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Taospod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED strip on outside of Pod
    Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 10:43am
Have a new awning (Bear Creek) for my 179 and want to apply white waterproof LED strip (Amazon GALYGG) above door and along top side of RV for illumination under awning while parked.  Have provided switched 12v DC power for end of strip.  Has anyone any experience with the double sided sticky tape on the LED strip?  I am concerned that it will come off while driving.  Any suggestions to further strengthen the bond between the strip and the fiberglass side of the R-Pod would be greatly appreciated.
moseyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote moseyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:04am

moseyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote moseyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:05am
An earlier post discussed adhering LED strip-lighting to the exterior of the POD. I believe the poster used silicon caulk to strengthen the bond. I'll try to find it and post the link .

I have a similar need for advice: I want to mount LED strip lights along the underside of the metal case of the Thule awning on my 2017 RPOD 180.

Any suggestions for making sure I don't lose them along the highway?
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjscinta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:29am
I just did this. I put an led strip on the underside of the awning. I watched a lot of YouTube videos first and it seems first of all, all the led lights you buy on Amazon are from china and are not great quality. I bought the one with the best reviews and wasn't impressed. Be sure to get the kind that are somewhat waterproof. The tape that was on the backside of the strip wasn't even sticking to the strip so I went to the box store and bought some outdoor use 3m high bond double sided tape. Cleaned the underside with denatured alcohol first then applied. 900 miles so far and they are still sticking well. I just used the power supply included and just plug them into my outside receptacle but I really wanted to hard wire them through the outside light but haven't attempted that. I just disconnect them at the light strip and stow the power supply for travel. Seems to work pretty good.
2017 R-pod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by cjscinta

just used the power supply included and just plug them into my outside receptacle but I really wanted to hard wire them through the outside light but haven't attempted that.

Watch your voltages.  The receptacle is 120v and the light is 12v.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
moseyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote moseyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Thx for the response. My lights are on order and so is a roll of clear Gorilla tape.
But, after your response, I may reconsider that adhesive solution and opt for a double-sided tape.
voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 5:42pm
Taospod,
Here's what i did for the LED lights,
 I put the led strip lights under the C channel and ran a wire down to the rear storage compartment where I installed switches.  Yes, the ebay stick on waterproof led strips are very poor quality, but I got them to work with a little moxie. They have been on now for 5 months and still working good. I also put a strip on the lower C channel to light up the ground and in the storage compartments. The ones i find work best are the 5050 waterproof soft white, the colored ones remotes (three times) failed after two weeks each. I drilled a small hole just under the rear of the C channel and used a grommet and silicone and ran the wire down the insde of the closet wall, (180 only).
On the upper C channel I stuck them on and they fell off by morning so I re-applied them and ran a small bead of silicone all the way down each side of the strip, it took some time but they are holding well.

They are dimmable and look way brighter in the picture than they actually are. 

You can see the remote in the storage compartment.

There is a little more info in my all my 180 mods post.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

hadserub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hadserub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:01am
I wouldn't advise a simple double-sided tape, especially when it comes to waterproof LED strip lights. Since they are exposed to all kinds of weather, it would be good to make sure that the tape on the back of the lights is the best one you can find. I know for a fact that the led strip lights uk have a pretty resistant tape on the back of their waterproof stip lights. It's what they're known for the best. Anyways, you should rule out other factors first. For example, the strip can fall off because of a dirty surface, UV exposure, improper storage or calculations, and so many more motives.
 Post Reply Post Reply