R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge won't run on propane - Event Date: 31 May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Fridge won't run on propane
    Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:47am
We just purchased 2017 R pod 179 from a private party(no warranties apply) - 1st generation.  It has never been used, as it had all the stickers on all appliances.  The fridge won't light on propane, just clicks.  It is on 12V, have completed the reset process multiple times as suggested, confirmed gas up to the valve, but the valve will not open.  We also confirmed that there is no voltage at the gas valves.  The stove is working, so this only applies to the fridge.  What could be the cause and how do we troubleshoot this?  Either the electrical signal is not reaching the valve or the valve itself is defective.  Since this is a new unit, never been used, what should we be looking for?  We assume it is a Dometic 8501.  Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 10:07am
Check the Dometic Diagnostic Service Manual. It may help isolate the problem.Don't worry about the specific model not being in the manual. The principles of operation remain the same.
This is the specific Service Manual for the 8XXX series.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Sharon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
Thanks for the tip.  We were able to determine that one of the two solenoids was reading the proper ohms.  The other indicated 0.  It appears the valve will need to be replaced.  Fortunately, the refridgerator has a two year warranty, so hopefully that although we purchased the r pod from a private party, the warranty should still be in effect.   A local RV service department looks to be very helpful in getting this resolved.  Thanks for responding so quickly!  We want to get on the road!Big smile  Sharon 
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:40pm
Several times, I have needed to clean the burner and line to get my fridge to cool again on propane. I think I got a dirty batch of propane (I suspect the source). Anyway, every time I clean it up, it runs great. Only takes a few minutes.

Good discussion:

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Sharon

Thanks for the tip.  We were able to determine that one of the two solenoids was reading the proper ohms.  The other indicated 0.  It appears the valve will need to be replaced.  Fortunately, the refridgerator has a two year warranty, so hopefully that although we purchased the r pod from a private party, the warranty should still be in effect.   A local RV service department looks to be very helpful in getting this resolved.  Thanks for responding so quickly!  We want to get on the road!Big smile  Sharon 

Unless you are committed to a boondock life style.. lack of propane function shouldn't be keeping you off "the road".. In fact most owners NEVER use propane. 12v while towing and 120v in camp.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:29am
Agree, we usually plug our pod in a day or two before we leave and then kick it over to battery for the ride, then plug in again when we get to the campground. We text our propane once or twice a season but never really use it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:20am
OTOH, we use propane extensively for our refrigerator and rarely use 12V power for it after finding out that our previous tow vehicle could not both run it and charge the batteries. Using 12V is good if one is going to a place with 110V power available, but not if one is goind to be on the road for several days without hookups. That is the way we tend to travel, so propane makes a lot more sense for us.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
marked001 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:33am
Have you turned it on and off? Many times my fridge will not light when going from 110 to propane and I have to turn it on and off once or twice and it eventually fires up. 
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2017 Rpod 182G
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:36am
I have not had a problem switching unless I have also had to change the propane tank due to running out or when I had to change the supply hose due to a leak or changing to a longer hose to allow for a hard cover. Cycling it allows the lines to be purged, and then it runs well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply