R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 182G - Funace Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 182G - Funace Not Working
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:23am
Hi all,

Looking for help on my furnace issue so I can avoid taking it back to dealer for warranty repair -- I don't want my Pod gone for too long and I don't trust the dealer to fix the issue.  I've owned RVs in the past, so pretty sure I have an actual issue vs user error.

I have a 182G with a Suburban Furnace, T-stat is the standard white Dometic that is square in shape and about 3" x 3".  The issue is that the once the furnace gets the Pod up to temp and the t-stat shuts it down, the furnace will not come back on (blower or heater) once the temp drops below the t-stat setting.

Here is my test this am:  34 degrees outside.  Turned on furnace using T-stat and set desired temp to 58 degrees.  Furnace fired right up, and ran for awhile until the temp reached 58 degrees, and shut off (so far so good).  Opened door, window, and turned on roof vent in the camper to drop the temp, and furnace never kicked back on, despite my stand-alone thermometer reading 45 degrees.  Any ideas?  Some thoughts I have:

1). How can I determine if the issue is with T-stat or furnace?
2). Made an appointment with the dealer, and based on my desription to the service tech he thought it was either a sail switch or limit switch gone bad.  After reading, I don't think it's a sail switch, as the blower won't come on either.  Will a faulty limit switch prevent the blower from kicking on too?

Thanks, 

Seth

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:15am
The thermostat is pretty much an on/off switch. I don't know how hard it would be to pull the thermostat out, but I would pull it out of the wall and verify that it is switching on and off (presuming you have a DVM to check it).

To me it sounds like the furnace has a warm start issue.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:01pm
Does that equate to the limit switch?  Would warm start up issues prevent the blower from even coming on, because that is what it it does? I let it sit for a few hours, and fired right up again.  Disappointing that this is a brand new trailer and has this issue...at least it is under warranty, but gonna cost me time and $$ getting it back to the dealership and prevented me from camping this weekend as we would've needed the furnace.
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:28pm
If you are going to by at a campground tack a small electrical heater and plug it in many of us do this and never use furnace + this saves propane go luck and have fun
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:18pm
Sure sounds like an issue with the furnace to me. I only suggested checking the thermostat to eliminate it as an issue.

However, if it starts after it's been off a while, but fails to cycle, then that implies something with the furnace related to cycling on and off. If it's new, then they should fix it under warranty.
bp
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:01pm
Yeah, I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday, I just hope it doesn't take too long as I have a trip planned the following weekend. Electric heater won't work for us as we rarely are on hookups.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:21pm
Please post with the fix when you find out. Podders need to know!
bp
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 6:23pm
+1 - it's disappointing to see two pages of posts offering suggestions to issues and never know why or how the issue was resolved.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
Heard back from dealer today. Faulty circuit board in the a/c unit, which apparently controls the furnace too. Dealer ordered a new board and will install by Monday (I hope).
1992Coug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:20pm
I also have a 2017 182G (just bought it).  I noticed the A/C fan also turns on whenever I turn on the furnace.  Is this necessary? Carbon monoxide prevention? better air circulation? The A/C is so loud that our kids have trouble sleeping while it's on.  I'd love to be able to heat the Pod at night without the distraction of the A/C fan.  Is it possible to decouple these two units?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>